President Dead

Chapter 6 – President Dead

Jessie lay, unconscious, in a hospital bed, vaguely aware of her surroundings but continuously slipping into a dreamlike state…watching past moments of her life that had led her to now.

~Memory~

Australia, November 23rd, 2009…

Jessie grinned stupidly at her best friend, Jono. It was her eighteenth birthday today and he’d decided to take her out for a drink…she’d agreed all too happily. She’d known Jono for four years and the two had become thick as thieves, or so she’d thought.

It was about eleven o’clock at night when she’d decided she’d had enough and wanted to go back to her grandparents place. It wasn’t too far, so they could walk, and Jono had agreed. They’d walked in content silence for a short while, but then the joking around had started, the alcohol making the two silly…and Jono brave.

“Jessie…” he finally said when they’d stopped laughing.

“Yeah?” Jessie replied, curious as to the softer tone in his voice.

“Do you…” he paused, pulling them both to a halt, an ally to one side.

“Lighten up, mate!” Jessie smiled. “It can’t be all that bad. What’s up?”

“I…oh, screw it!” Her curiosity concerning Jono’s frustration was quickly quelled as he grabbed her and pulled her forward into a painfully hard kiss.

Even though she’d been taken by surprise, Jessie knew she didn’t want this. She could never think of Jono that way. She shoved against him, but he only held on harder. She took a handful of his hair and pulled…hard. He pulled back and she shoved him away with as much force as she could muster.

“No.” she held her hands up in front of her, shaking slightly. “I don’t like you like that, Jono…you’re a good mate…but you’re not for me…not like that…”

“Why else would you hang around me? Act the way you do around me?” Jono glared, clearly hurt.

“We’re friendly; it’s true…but not that friendly Jono.” Jessie replied and took a step back.

“But…I love you…” he growled, hands balling into fists.

“I love you as a friend…nothing more.” Jessie stood her ground, her voice confident and assertive. ‘Don’t enrage him…’ she thought to herself. ‘Please don’t let him be like his father…not now…’

“You…you bitch…” he gaped at her. “I know you love me…you do…I just…” his eyes cleared as he looked at her. “I’ll just have to show you.”

“No!” Jessie shouted and turned to run…but he was faster. His hand clamped down on her mouth to stifle her screams for help as his arm wrapped around her waist and he dragged her back…into the darkened ally…