The Fight Song

Chapter 3 – The Fight Song

Jessie sighed and shoved away from her desk, frustrated. Why couldn’t she finish this song? Why did she have, for lack of a better description, ‘writers block’? The last song she’d written and composed in less than a day! So why was it so hard now?! Then it hit her. The day she’d written that song…was right after she’d been with Marilyn at the Osborne’s. But that had been a little over two weeks ago. Surely that was a coincidence…right?

Jessie rolled her eyes at herself and stomped downstairs to her living room, plonking herself down on the comfy sofa in a huff and glared at the television.

Her brother, Rick, stopped playing his guitar and looked at her worriedly. “You okay sis’?”

“I’ll get over it…eventually.” She sighed heavily, running her hand over her tired eyes. “We’re supposed to be writing for the new album… but we’ve only done two songs! I can’t think! I…I…” she gave up, letting her head fall back against the sofa with an irritated huff.

“It’s early days yet.” Rick smiled as he began playing again and she looked up at him.

Rick played guitar beautifully, and he always seemed to be able to calm her down. “What are you playing?” Jessie gave her brother a half smile as she went to sit next to him on the other sofa, resting her head on his shoulder. “It’s lovely…”

“Well…it was going to be a lullaby…but now I think it’s turning into a love song.” Rick smiled down at her lovingly.

“Will you play it for me?” Jessie asked, closing her eyes as he began to play again.

She felt the melody flow through her as he played on…and then he began to sing. “I remember those angelic eyes; desperate, sweet and restless sighs. Now heartbreak comes each new tear. Now you know that I’m always here, I’ll never leave so never fear. Come rest your head upon me here. Through the heat, the fear and lies, I’ll always look on angelic eyes…”

Jessie felt a tear slide down her cheek as he played on, but he stopped abruptly  when they both heard three sharp raps on the front door. They looked at each other and she made a face at him.

“Troy?” Jessie raised a mocking brow at her brother and he glared. “Please don’t tell me you two are gonna-”

“Whether I take my boyfriend to bed or not is none of your concern.” He said, pretending to be serious, then smirked and ruffled her hair affectionately. “My baby sister doesn’t need to know what goes on under the covers of the adults.”

“Ew!” Jessie jumped away from her brother as he swung a pillow in her direction. “Get the door then.” She winked. “I’m going over to Patrick and Jane’s anyway, I haven’t seen their kids in ages. At least they love me.” Jessie fake pouted and laughed as Rick rolled his eyes at her.

The door opened. “Guys?” Troy called out.

“We’re in here!” Jessie replied. Troy appeared at the living room door and Jessie hugged him tightly. “Hey, ‘bout time you got back. Rick’s been going mental.” She snickered as Rick swore at her quietly. “Anyway, I know what he wants to do, so I’m gonna head out.” I grabbed my keys and wallet off the table and headed towards the door. “Oh! There’s Chinese in the fridge!”

“Cheers!” Rick yelled out to her.

“Bye, babe!” Troy called out as she closed the door and headed to her car.

Jessie shook her head and smiled as she climbed into her car. She’d just closed the door when her phone stared to ring. Jessie fumbled for her phone and answered on the last ring. “Hello?”