Prologue

Humans have always been amazing beings that can do extraordinary things just with intelligence and integrity. In rhe same breath, they have also always been merciless beings when they come into power and deem others as different.

You had learned this lesson over and over through the countless years of being alone and always watching events from the shadows.

You were born in Mesopotamia around the year 3100 BC. That time on Earth was beyond simple in spme ways. People simply were, but existing and surviving on it's own was a rather large task.

You were an only child, and a happy one. You had loving parents who prioritized your health above their own; often they would go without sufficient meals so you could be healthy. It must've just come naturally for them. Yet, with everything they did for you, you were still a child- prone to smotions you couldn't yet recognize or comprehend.

Your mother and father were bent over harvesting food from the family garden as you sat mere feet behind them playing in the dirt. All was well until you heard a quiet hiss and saw the quick slithering movement of a black figure. As a young child, no older than four, you were not educated on the dangers of the creature. In fact, you crawled towards it. The creature was happy with your move because it's jaw began to pull open, ready to strike.

Yet, the chance had never struck. Your mother had lifted you into her arms before trying to get back to your father. You began to cry, but your mother yelped as she began to fall to the ground. The reptile had bit deep into her leg, causing her to lose balance. Yet, she still protected you by making herself fall to the ground and making sure never touched it.

You didn't remember much of what followed. Being a small child, you closed your eyes and hoped for the best, crying softly in your fear and confusion.

You didn't dare open your eyes until you were cradled into the shoulder of a man. He was new to you, but somehow you knew that he was safe- that he'd protect you.

He was tall, his features broad and intimidating, but he was the complete opposite. His name was Tuge. He was handsome and perhaps in his twenties, but seemingly uninterested in companionship. Some assumed it was because his eyes were different colors- that it was perhaps an illness of sorts.

Though no one argued when he took you in. In his mind, you were just a young, innocent girl. But he chose to take you because he knew you were special; the snake had unfortunately killed your parents with its venom, but the snake was dead when he arrived- contorted in an unnatural way as if some invisible force mangled it. He knew that in your fear, you somehow caused it.

As your father, Tuge tried to shield you from harsh realities and rumors, but he couldn't shield you from people. You were well known, but not in good reason. Ever since the day of the snake, you had been known as something malicious. Some thought you were possessed. Others thought you used black magic.

No matter what they thought, they did for something of the same. Every time you found yourself outside, people would distance themselves.

You didn't blame them for their fear; you knew that there were pieces missing from the day your parents died, and you had assumed the confusion was directed at yourself. Though that only solidified that you needed to know what happened, and the only way you'd learn was by talking to Tuge.

By the time you were ready to ask him about that day, it had already been twelve years, making you sixteen years old.

"Papa?"

You approached him while he was working on collecting the end season's crops. He turned to you, sweat covering his brow and shoulders. He didn't look a day older than he had when he took you in, which did seem a bit odd in retrospect. He gestured for you to speak so you took a deep breath.