Chapter 14

The hallway was crowded, as a period had just ended and everyone was making their way to their next class. Standing in place as everyone pushed me around, a guy walked past me, bumping into me hard which made me fall to the ground. He had left by the time I could say anything. As I looked up, I saw Isaac staring down at me. I thought he would help me up or something, but he didn't. He looked at me for what felt like eternity, and left without a word. I looked down, hurt. But then I thought, he's right. He shouldn't bother about me, and I shouldn't feel hurt when he doesn't. I got up quickly and straightened out my clothes. Taking in a breath, I started walking towards my next class.

School ended at 3 pm today, and I was exhausted. I just wanted to go home and sleep. It was Friday, which was probably the best thing that happened to me all week. That's sad, I know. But I was looking forward to the weekend.

I was only a few blocks away from home now, when suddenly a man swung his hand at me, hitting me on the cheek and making me fall to the ground by the force. My hair that was in a loose bun was now open and fell around my face. I staggered back against a wall, still on the ground. The man stared down at me, a pocket knife in his hand. "Give me your money," he ordered. I was scared shitless, and this also came at me out of nowhere. I had no money! "I..don't have any money," I told him. "Don't fucking lie!" he yelled. "I'm n-not," I cried. He neared towards me, slowly. Just him looking at me gave me the shivers, the bad kind.

This was the most quiet part of this neighborhood, and I was cornered by this maniac. "Give-" he had started to say, but was interrupted by a punch. I looked through my lashes, and saw Isaac standing there, breathing heavy. The guy had his hand on the spot where Isaac had punched him. "Leave!" Isaac shouted, directed at him. The guy staggered back up and left running.

Isaac's eyes were on me now, and he looked angry. "Can't you take care of yourself?! What the fuck would've happened if I wasn't here?" he yelled at me. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Stand up!" he ordered. I still sat there like a dummy, not knowing how to feel. "Get the fuck up, Olivia! Stop trying to be a damsel. This really isn't the time." Anger seeped through me. I fell backwards at first, but managed to stand up. "Honestly? What's wrong with you? I don't know what happened between us, but something did that I'm not aware of. First of all, I didn't mean for this to happen. Why would I want a random maniac to come and show me a knife? You're blaming me for this?" I paused, letting out a breath, "Second, what is your problem, Isaac? I never even talked to you until a few days back, but suddenly you hate me?! What did I do to you that made you hate me so much?" I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration, "You know what? I'm done wondering what I did. I'm done. And I don't know why you're blaming me for this."

He glared at me the entire time, not taking his eyes off of me. If I thought he looked mad before, now he was raging. He took a step forward, making me take a step back in intimidation. All the anger I had was gone now. "You really wanna know why I hate you?" he asked in a deadly steady and low voice. "I'll tell you why. But before that," he took another step, "Let me tell you how much I hate you. I hate you so much that I never wanna see your face. I don't wanna hear your voice, and I don't wanna hear about you. I don't want to have anything to do with you, and I don't care about you."

Hurt was the only emotion I had been feeling when he said all this. "If you don't care, why'd you save me?"

He took another step forward, cornering me against the wall. His face now so close to mine. He slammed the palm of his hand on the wall beside me, and giving me one last hard stare, he walked away the opposite direction.

He didn't answer my question.