Worthy

Picture of Loki to your right

And that was the moment the snake’s eyes locked on me.

Me.

It had chosen me for its next meal.

I immediately began crying and shaking as the implications hit me. Racks of sobs tore through my body. I was going to die.

I ripped my hand away from Sara’s and hastily stepped away. She would not share my same fate if I had any say in the matter.

The serpent’s eyes shadowed me as I moved. My knees trembled as I imagined how it would feel when the sharp crimson stained fangs of the beast impaled my body. I fought the bile that climbed up my throat as images of my body being chewed up as a piece of undercooked meat flicked through my mind.

“Adeline just stay calm, it will be alright!” Sara yelled confidently.

If I wasn’t so petrified, I would’ve knocked her upside the head. There was nothing whatsoever in this situation to stay calm about. I was going to be eaten alive.

There was so much things that I had not done. The salty taste of my tears teased the rim of my lip uncomfortably.

And then it was like time slowed down. The serpent struck quickly directly at me. I stiffened awaiting my death. I squeezed my eyes closed the same second that the creature had moved. I did not want to look into its eyes before it slew me.

After three entire seconds of nothing happening, I opened my eyes reluctantly.

I could have swooned in joy. Loki had managed to stab the beast in the left eye. The beast let out an ear-splitting screech before sinking back into the sea. I stood frozen still unable to understand that my life had been spared, if even for a few moments.

“Adeline!” two large arms wrapped around me squeezing me so tightly, breathing was becoming more of a chore than a reflex.

I groaned in response, “Argo you’ll kill her” Sara screeched.

He let go of me completely dismissing Sara’s nagging, “I’m so sorry that I failed. I just saw the thing looking at you hungrily and I froze. I’m so bloody sorry Adeline” He whined and enclosed me in his large arms once again.

I pushed him away quickly; still unable to fathom that I was still alive. My heart was still racing.

Loki walked briskly towards us, “What the hell Argo? You had one job!” he yelled angrily.

Argo bowed his head in shame, the repercussions of his failure sinking in for all of us.

Sara muttered the one thing we were all thinking, “It’ll be back.”

My breathing hitched in response. I had known that, but hearing it spoken out loud made me feel faint. I fought the urge to lie down on the blood soaked floor and cry myself to sleep.