Poseidon's Curse

Picture of Loki to your right

As soon as I got to the harbor, I immediately began regretting my decision to run away. The men were all extremely large and very horrifying. Some of them were missing limbs even.

My father had never let me near the docks for fear that I would clumsily fall in the water and drown, now I am starting to think there were other reasons at work as well.

This place was undeniably improper for a girl, a commoner even, to be up and about. Men drank on corners and leered at the women of the night. I stared slack jawed at some of the things these women wore. No wonder they were cast out of society.

As hard and fast as my heart was pounding, I refused to turn around and flee back to my father. He’d be whoring me out to the highest bidder within a week. I would rather take my chances here with these men. I pulled up my breeches and adjusted my hat slightly to make sure my hair was still well hidden.

I walked towards the friendliest looking person that I could find, a skinny man, no more than a boy, with unruly dark curls falling slightly over his forehead. He stood posted near the docks with a piece of straw sticking out the side of his mouth.

I inhaled a deep breath, and made my way towards him with as much confidence that I could muster.  I cleared my throat as to deepen it before speaking. I was impersonating a man after all.

“Ay!” I said as I stopped right in front of him. He raised an eyebrow at me trying to suppress a smirk.

“And what are you supposed to be?” he asked. I licked my lips.

“I am a cabin boy and I was wondering if you knew where I could possibly find work aboard a ship,” I said in my fake man voice.

He didn’t look convinced. He grabbed my hands and stared at my open palm, “You’re a cabin boy?” he asked, doubt lacing his question. I snatched my hands back.

“Yes” I responded.

He crossed his arms over his chest, “Then why are your hands free of callouses and scars?” he asked in a bored tone. I let out a frustrated breath.

“Because I am a beginner,” I supplied.

He mulled it over a little, and then finally shrugged. “Okay well our ship will be needing a cabin boy for the next voyage. If you want, I can make sure the position is yours.” I nodded my head trying to hide my excitement.

I was finally getting away from this place after nineteen years. I had never so much as ventured out of the village; the vast world was unknown to me.

“You just need to do one favor for me” he said thoughtfully. I tensed. The last thing I wanted was to owe anyone anything.

“What do you want?” I asked cautiously. He smirked at me.

“How about you accompany me to get a pint?” he volunteered.

I frowned. “I haven’t any money.” He scoffed at me, rolling his eyes.

“I haven’t paid for rum in years mate. Let’s head to the pub, we’ve a few hours to pass before we set sail.”

He threw his arm over my shoulder and dragged me along. As he dragged me passed scarier and scarier looking men, I couldn’t help but notice that I didn’t even know this man’s name. “What’s your name?” I asked as we dodged a smelly man trying to move his stubborn horse.