Valued Life (12)

Chapter 12: Kiss Me?

Nessuno's POV

Two thoughts run through my head after I'm woken up from the smell of delicious steak.

1) Shit. I'm fucking alive.

2) Where the hell am I?

After I opened my eyes I could tell that this was definitely not the hospital, or my apartment, or the bookstore. Where the fuck am I? A soft cry escaped me as I sat up. My body felt like I'd been hit by a bus. Wherever I am, it's dark. The curtains were drawn, blocking out the setting sun. The bed I am laying on felt amazing. I actually didn't want to leave it but my stomach is growling.

The first thing I noticed when I got out of bed was the fact that I'm not wearing any pants. What the hell? Fresh bandages were wrapped around my thighs perfectly. Sebastian's work? Looking around I ruled out being at Sebastian's apartment. It's not his style. Slowly I exited the room and softly walked down the hallway towards the voices.

"Jane, that smells magnificent," A familiar voice caused me to immediately come to a halt. He's here? What the hell? Without hesitation, I scurried back to the room. I spotted a window but I am far too high to jump out. Shit. Am I at his home? If so, why? He was the one person I wanted to avoid. I exited the bedroom once again and walked into the hallway. A door opened behind me.

"Nessie!" The anger in Missie's voice caused me to wince.

"What the hell is wrong with you?! Do you think you're just gonna leave me like that?! DO I MEAN NOTHING TO YOU?!" She shouted. I winced once more at her hurt tone. I wasn't thinking about what I was leaving behind, I just wanted to leave. Everything became too much. I couldn't handle it.

"I'm so-"

"Save it." She snapped and headed down the stairs. Ruben stood at the top of the stairs, completely emotionless.

"Are you hungry?" He asked softly.

"Aren't pigs always hungry?" I tilted my head and squinted at him. He flinched back as if I slapped him in the face. Suddenly he started walking towards me. Every fiber in my being was telling me to run but I just stood there, frozen.

"Nessie. I know you're not going to believe me but I am truly sorry." His voice was almost a whisper. He's standing extremely close to me. So close that I could smell the intoxicating scent emitting off of him.

"Why am I here?" I asked him, completely ignoring his apology. He sighed and reached out to brush the hair from my face. Without actually meaning to, I flinched back. A look of terror filled sadness flashed over his face but is gone in an instant. His arm fell to his side.

"When I found you unconscious, because of me, something clicked. I realized the way I treated you was unacceptable. I don't know why I said the things I did. The doctor I hired said to keep an eye on you 24/7. That's just what I plan to do. Welcome to my home, Ms. Jones." He replied quietly and began to walk away

"Wait," I blurted out, causing him to stop.

"I n-need pants," I stuttered embarrassingly.

"There are clothes for you in your room." He said without turning around then disappeared downstairs. Wait, my room?

Once I was covered to my liking, I headed downstairs. Sebastian, Missie, and Ruben were all seated at the dinner table eating. I walked in awkwardly as if this is some kind of intervention. Sebastian looked up, a gasp escaped me upon seeing his red, puffy eyes. Missie purposely kept her back to me. Ruben rose from his seat and pulled out my chair. I walked over slowly and sat down. After I'm scooted in I look around, waiting for someone to say something. A nice older woman entered with a plate in her hand. She placed it in front of me and kissed me on my head. Odd.