22

"We're coming for you," the voices sing. "You can't escape your fate. Join us in this hell you've created." The taunting laughter fills my ears. I turn slowly, trying to find the direction the voice was coming from. The room is empty; the glass ceiling shows the full moon above. It illuminates the plants and trees around me. I was in the greenhouse. An icy hand grabs the back of my neck and pulls me back. I jerk in response to the violent pulls. Someone is calling me, telling me to fight, to not let the hand take me. My heart races as I struggle in its grasp.

“Paisley, why are you fighting? Don’t you want to be with us?” Dark forms are swirling around me. They knock me from my feet and fall to the ground. My head bounces off the ground. An excruciating pain fills my head and I struggle to keep from passing out. I can hear footsteps approaching me. They stop by my head and look down at me. I start to scream as I notice what is in the hand of the one watching. My body can’t move all I can do is watch.

He drops to his knees, the knife firmly in his hand. I want to run, to raise my hand to block the coming knife but nothing can be done. All I can do is watch in fear as he plunges the knife deep within my body. I can feel the tears streaming down my face. Again he raises the knife and again it enters my dying body. My nightgown is soaked with my blood; the ground I lay on is saturated with it. All around me the greenhouse is filling with laughter. I take a deep breath and release it. My body shakes as I take the last breath I ever will.

I shiver as I wake from the dream. Is that the fate that awaits me? The eerie feeling refuses to leave me. I reach out to turn on the bedside lamp. I freeze as my hand brushes against a prone body. The blanket is covering the head of the body. I cannot see who or what it is. I change my position in the bed; I hover over the unknown thing. Don’t let it be what I think it is, I silently pray. With hesitant fingers I bunch the edge of the blanket in my hand. The body does not move. Slowly I pull the blanket down to reveal a head for of hair. I relax, releasing the breath I didn’t realize I was holding.

            Brown eyes blink up at me through swollen lids. He removes his arms from the covers and wrap them me. I look down at Zeke and smile. Thoughts of the hug I shared with Damien come back. I ease out of his embrace and sit back. I take in his face and frown. Bruises dot his face, darkening his complexion with shades of green and purple. With my hand I reach out and lightly touch the side of his face. He winces as he grabs my hand.

            “Don’t give me that look,” he says pulling me down to lie beside him.

            “What happened?” I have so many questions but those are the only words that will leave my lips. Zeke turns on his side, his arm still around me.

                “It’s nothing. Just,” he pauses and closes his eyes, “just think of them as my battle scars. Don’t worry kitten. It isn’t as bad as it seems.” He snuggles up to me, holding tight against his body. I try to turn around to get another look at him. His muscles flexes as he strain to keep my body close to his.

                “Are you going to tell me how that happened,” I ask. I can feel his smile against my neck.