18: Flashback

The knocking was becoming irritating.

“Paisley,” she called. “Could you please open the door, I want to talk to you?” I looked down at my toys and started stacking the blocks on top of each other again. “Paisley,” she called again. “Open the door now or I’m telling your father.”

I laughed at the panicked calls of the woman. This was what she deserved, telling me I couldn’t do something was a definite no no. I crossed my legs on the hardwood floor of the family room, turning to look at the closed door. I tossed a block at the door, it hit, splintering the wood. The banging became louder, drowning out the sound of the cartoon I was watching.

“Paisley, you open this door right now. What are you doing out there? Open the door.” She was yelling, her fist pounding on the door as she finished each word. My giggles were growing in volume as I stood from my spot and began to approach the door. As I passed the couch I reached down and grabbed the blanket and the tiny ball of play dough. I wondered how long it would take her to lose consciousness if I was to block the keyhole and the crack under the door. I stopped outside of the door and called to my nanny.

“Are you okay,” I whispered, feigning innocence. “You should really calm down.”

“Please,” she called. “Let me out. I promise I’ll make you a sundae like you asked. You can just have that for your lunch, so please let me out.”

I leaned closer to the door, listening to the labored breathing of my nanny. My small hands touch the top of the can of play dough, hooking a thumb under the top I lift, the top falls to the floor. I drop down to my knees and peered through the keyhole. I can see my nanny sitting on her haunches on the floor. She rocks back and forth with tears streaming down her brown face.

“Please Paisley,” she says again. “I know you’re watching me, just let me out. I can’t take being in here any longer . I can feel the walls closing in on me. Please, please.” The banging begins again, louder this time. I watched as she raised her arms, her hands forming fist as each second that passed she hammered on the door causing it to shake against my hands. “I can’t breathe Paisley. You have to let me out, it feels like my throat is closing up. I CAN’T BREATHE. LET ME OUT, LET ME OUT.”

I snickered, watching the feeble attempts of the woman. She banged on the door louder now.

“PAISLEY.” My name is shouted from behind. I slowly turn to see who the voice belonged to, though I knew it already. My mother stood in the doorway, watching me. Anger filled her gaze as she glared at me. “What are you doing?” She stomps towards me, the floor vibrating beneath me with each step. “Move,” she says to me.

I slowly get to my feet, my mother pushes pass me to get to the door.

With a click she unlocks the door and opens it. The nanny falls from the closet sobbing. She looks up at my mother from her hands and knees. “Thank you so much, Mrs. Miller.” My mother hands reached down and helped her to her feet.

“Are you okay,” she soothed. She pat the nanny on her head, cooing soothing words into her ear. Disgusting, I thought to myself. The nanny sniffled and raised the back of her hand to her nose, wiping away the dripping snot from her face. It wasn’t long before her body went still, no longer did it rock with each shaking sob that throughout the room.

“Paisley,” my mother called. “Why didn’t you let her out? I know you heard her.”

“I just wanted to play with her, that’s all. I was going to let her out that’s why I was at the door.” Green eyes go wide as they look up at my mother through thick eyelashes. I sniff as tears begin to fall silently.