25

I sit there waiting for him to go. He lounges on the couch with Peyton beside him, whispering in his ear. Nothing good will come from this arrangement. My honey sits next to me on the couch scowling. He’s just as unhappy as I am about how things are going. Today was supposed to be just Zeke and me but somehow he managed to squirm his way into this house, thanks to my little brother. They sit there laughing amongst themselves. Every now and then Peyton glances over at us and frowns.

                They’re plotting something. I can see it in the way they watch us. Nothing good will happen today, I think again. Damien turns in our direction and smirks at my honey. I sigh as I take a peak over at him. His frown matches my own. It’s been this way since Damien arrived an hour ago. Not that Damien has made this any easier. The moment he saw Zeke walking out of the kitchen his attitude changed. No longer was the smile on his face. I should have known then that things wouldn’t go the way I wanted.

Damien had walked up to me and wrapped his arms around my waist. My body tensed in his embraced, my mind screaming for me to pull away but I couldn’t. I’m not sure if I wanted the hug to end. It was Zeke who reached for me and pulled me away. He wasn’t happy, his discomfort only earning a grin from the unwanted guest, who immediately reached for me again to only be pushed away.  

That’s how it started.  It only got worse from there. I turn quickly to see the deepening scowl on my honey’s face. Several emotions pass through his eyes. I can feel the tension radiating from him as Damien starts to laugh. Zeke starts to drum his fingers on the pillow beside him.  I reach out to touch his hand in an attempt to squelch the anger building within him. He intertwines his fingers with mine and uses his other hand to pull me the few inches towards him that separated us. He wraps his arm around my waist.

“Tell him to go,” Zeke whispers in my ear. I look up at him, into his pleading eyes. I would do anything for him, yet I can find the words to tell Damien to leave. I feel safe with him here. Words, I could never tell Zeke. I know that he would never understand. Safety and warmth awaits me in Damien’s arms. I hate myself for even thinking the words.

“I’m sure he’ll be leaving soon.” I struggle to say the words. After everything that happened the other day, I’m not sure if I want him to go. I wrestle internally with my thoughts. I want to spend the day with my honey but each time I think of the warmth that spreads through my body at just a single touch from Damien, I don’t want to risk losing it if I tell him to go. My head aches as I try to think of a way to get what I want without sacrificing anything. My eyes travel to where my brother sits. Damien is watching us. He shakes his head and stands. He walks over to us smiling. His eyes never leave Zeke as he crouches down in front of me.

“If you want me to leave Paisley just say so.” He knows I’m not sure of what to do. “Just say the word Paisley.”

“Yes, tell him to go Kitten,” Zeke interrupts. Damien sneers at him. I don’t know what to do. I look at the two men.

“Maybe,” I hesitate before continuing. Who matters more to me?  “Bye Damien.” He laughs and stands up, pulling me with him.