Chapter Five - Kuzco-Topia

Terra and Mina arrived in a city with tall, white stucco buildings, and people carrying heavy burdens up and down hundreds of steep staircases. "And no banisters," sighed Mina.

"Excuse me?" Terra said, singling out a man in an orange robe.

"Yes?" he answered, annoyed.

"Where do we find the ruler of this city?" Terra asked.

"Up the stairs, five flights up, take a right, can't miss it," he answered curtly, sounding bored as could be.

"Um, thanks," Terra said as the man ran off without another word. 

Once they reached the top of the stairs, they saw a huge palace looming above them. 'Wow," was all Mina could manage.

"Excuse me, sir?" Terra asked spotting an older man with a white robe and a blue hat. "Can you tell me..." 

"The grove!! Don't throw off the Emperor's Grove!" the old man interrupted, his eyes crazy looking.

"Uh, okay. But can you tell me where the Emperor is?" Terra asked.

"The grove!" the old man shouted walking past them, slightly quivering.

"Well, that was comforting..." Mina mumbled as the old man headed down the stairs. 

"Yeah, I don't like the feeling of this world. Seems... Unbalanced. Come on, we need to find the emperor," he said, snapping back into action and walking towards the palace. 

They walked into the courtyard and to a gate guarded by two men wearing half blue half pink armor, but still looking rather menacing. 

"Your names?" one asked.

"I am Master Terra, and this is my apprentice Mina. We're on important business that concerns this world and its emperor," Terra answered.

"I'm sorry, but the emperor is done for the day. Go downstairs, to the left through the door. There's a form you can fill out to receive your summons," the other guard answered.

"But this is of the utmost importance," Terra emphasized. 

"Sorry, sir, all summons must be processed," answered the first guard.

"But..." Mina started. Terra sushed her with a look.

"Very well, thank you for your time," Terra said pushing Mina away.

"What's the deal, Uncle Terra??" Mina questioned.

"Sh, I have a plan," Terra whispered, his dark eyes looking up towards a window.

They snuck up  to the top of a nearby building and Terra grabbed Mina and dashed across to the palace window. They looked down from the window sill down to the floor of the palace. They saw a rather pompous young man in a red robe, that left a little train behind him, walking into a small room. The guards stood at attention when he neared. 

"That must be the emperor," Terra mumbled. "We're going to have to look like we know what we're doing. Ready, Mina?"

She nodded and they jumped down gracefully and walked purposely toward the room the emperor had just walked into.

"Hault, what's your purpose?" one guard asked.

"We're here on urgent business with the Emperor," Terra said firmly.

"Emperor Kuzco is at dinner right now. He is not to be interrupted," answered the other guard. If Mina didn't know any better, she'd swear they were the same guards from the outside gate. They all literally looked the same.