Chapter Three - The Fight

While the three friends had been receiving their keyblades, great hordes of heartless had amassed outside the castle walls. One of the pirates was leading a group of heartless against the gate. They were slamming a huge tree from the forest into the castle gate repeatedly.

Ventus led the friends to the top of the wall again. "We're going to jump down and stop them from breaking down the gate. Then Jensen, Robin, and I will address the pirates while you three stay back and defend the gate. We just need to keep going till Master Sora can reach us."

Everyone nodded.

"On my mark!" he said holding up his keyblade. "Attack!"

They jumped and landed gracefully on the ground below. Ventus and Jensen attacked the heartless first, destroying them in a matter of seconds. Robin Hood headed for the pirate nearby who was big, fat, and had weird tentacles coming out of his head with glowing eyes.

Once the two men had taken out the vanguard, they started running for Captain Silver who was grinning despite his lost numbers. "You three, defend that gate!" Ven commanded. 

"Yes, sir!" Mina shouted, calling her keyblade and eyeing the shadows approaching to their right.

Robin Hood was still fighting with the pirate he had first singled out, parrying ever blow, and fighting with amazing grace. Abi looked terrified, but Mina saw Grey grab her shaking hand say something to her. She calmed and nodded. Time to get to work. 

A shadow neared her and as it rose from the ground, she thought this is it!  She struck with practiced precision from parrying with her father on almost a daily basis. It disappeared in a whirl of green healing orbs. She didn't have time to celebrate her win, for they were now being swarmed by shadows.

Grey was hitting with all his might, defending Abi and shouting order to her. Abi hit her first one and looked relieved when it disappeared. They fought for what seemed like hours, but the shadows kept coming!

Suddenly Mina felt faint. Luckily the heartless were pushed back, but she could tell she was losing consciousness. No, not now! she thought.

The last thing she remembered was Grey calling her name...  

******************************************************************************************

She blinked a couple times, unsure of what was going on or where she was. It was dark around her even though the ground glowed brightly. In fact, the more she looked, she thought she was standing on a stained glass window! And the images of herself and family and friends?!

"Ah, you made it!" chirped a voice below her.

Startled, she saw a small black and grey striped cat holding a pink pouch standing near her. He was so short, she hadn't noticed him at first. "Wait, who are you and where am I???" 

"Hello, Mina, I'm Chirithy. Right now you are in a dive within your own heart. This is where your journey of the keyblade begins," the cat, Chirithy, answered matter of factly. 

"I'm in my own heart? What about the battle going on outside? And who are you to me???" she asked, bewildered.

"Time will give you the answers you seek, but I am here to guide you on your journey. We must act quickly since you are needed outside," Chirithy squeaked and headed up the stairs across the mosaic glass.

"Hey, wait!" she called, and ran up the stairs after him.

When she reached the top, she saw three different podiums, one with a sword, another a shield, and the last one had a magic staff. "You must choose one," said Chirithy coming out from the sword podium.