NMMTAD- 22

And here is why Troy didn't show up on time. Yes I know it's short.

Troy’s P.O.V.

Day Twenty Nine of Deadline

            “Almost there my friends,” The whisper was as much to reassure me as it was to reassure them. “We’re so close and nearly out of time. We’ll make it back right on the deadline.”

            Celeste looked grim. “What if you don’t make it back in time and she leave?”

            Glancing at her in my peripheral I could see the seriousness and worry in her eyes. “Then I’ll follow her to the ends of the earth and back again until she realizes I’m never giving up.”

            “Why can’t every mate be like you Troy?” Regina growled resentfully. She sighed, head lent against the window as it had been for the last few hours just watching the scenery.

            I choose to ignore the comment in the end. I didn’t have an answer to her problem. “Celeste what will you do when you return to Alpha West?”

            Celeste smiled coyly playing with a growing plant in her hands. The tiny roots whipped around, encircling her fingers and climbing to and fro on her arm. “The same you shall do when you return to Bluebell.” She stopped to think a moment. “Do you hear that?”

            All werewolves in the car sat up straight to listen closely. “No, hear what?”

            “The screaming,” She looked around, terror in her eyes. “The plants are telling me so. There’s trouble coming our way.” She paused again and in the silence now screaming could be heard. Checking the cars following us I could see them slowing down and lightly pressed on the brakes watching for any sign of trouble.

            “This had better not delay us to long.” I muttered, only slightly worried that someone was in trouble when I had a mate to get to.

            Coming to a full stop I opened my door locking the rest. “What are you doing?”

            Motioning for the others to stay in their cars I closed my door behind me getting a good look at the woods surrounding us. The ear splitting scream finally reached me full force. Taking off running in the direction of the sound and keeping my ears open and eyes open in case this was a trap. Why there would be a trap I had no clue.

            A girl came into view, about fifteen with long blonde hair flying around as she ran. “What’s wrong?” I yelled making her skid to a stop nearly tripping over.

            “There’s a huge wolf chasing me!” She sobbed, stumbling up to me and wrapping her arms around me tightly.

            Scanning the area I couldn’t see any wolves or hear any either. The wind was blowing toward us which should have sent any scent of wolves my way. There was nothing. Pulling the girl off I just slipped by the edge of her knife. The huntress smirked and threw her knife. Bending back I watched it fly over me and righted myself in time to catch her leg as it kicked up to my head. She vaulted off her free leg, twisting to kick the side of my head. I let go of her leg staggering back as she landed with a thump on the ground.

            As she sprung up I vaulted forward grabbing her arm and twisting it around behind her back wrapping my other arm around her neck and cutting off her air. The girl was to limber and twisted, her leg appearing out of nowhere and wrapping around my neck as her head slipped from my grip. Her weight put me off balance pulling me down with her. I saw her hands hit the ground first and she used them to twist her body out from under me. I did the same catching myself and springing up as she kneed my stomach. It hardly hurt seeing as she was a mere human huntress but another knife appeared flashing by my arm with a whisper of air warning its path.

            “Alright human, this ends now.” I growled, ready to shift when she pulled a gun out pointing it at my head.

            “This gun is designed to kill werewolves Alpha Quill. I suggest you watch your words.” She smirked and her finger twitched on the trigger making me jump.

            “How do you know who I am?”

            “I was hired to kill you darling. Now shut up so I can kill you.” Her arm jerked down suddenly and left as she fired. The bullet went into my shoulder and I fell back. Pain kept me down at a tree limb pulled the huntress up by her arm and then another wrapped around her throat.

            I groaned, laying back and letting Celeste do all the work. Black dots appeared in my vision as Wisty and Regina’s faces loomed over me.

            “Troy! Are you okay?” Regina yelled.

            “Got to get home. Pack doctor,” I paused to wait for a moment to catch my breath. “Doc will fix me up in no time.”

            “Got it.” they started to lift me up and then Wisty asked, “What address are we headed toward exactly?”

            I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out. A bullet designed to kill a werewolf. Probably had something in it to kill me before I could heal and that meant I really needed to get to the pack doctor. My vision went completely black and Regina and Wisty’s voices disappeared.

Wisty’s P.O.V.

            “Great! Now what? We don’t know where the Blazing Fire Pack is!” I yelled as Regina and I carried Troy back to the car. His bleeding was slowing down but that only meant the bullet was being healed into his shoulder with whatever was killing him as well. The wolves in the other cars watched on with worry.

            “We’ll just have to keep going in this direction. We’re bound to find it or another pack that can direct us sooner or later.” Regina said jumping into the driver’s seat. Delilah and I sat in the back with Troy while Celeste got in the front again.

            “Any chance you know where we are going?” I asked her and she shook her head. I growled and got out again heading to the car behind us. Samantha, the wolf driving got out immediately. “Sam, any clue where we’re headed?”

            “Yeah, he told me to keep going down this road for another three hours and then to turn when we got to the sign leading to the city. After that we go through the city into the next woods and look for the town sign a good two hours out.”

            I sighed. That was too vague for my liking. “Okay thanks.” Hopping back in the car I conveyed the information to Regina who took off at full speed.

            “We need better direction’s than that. We’ll need to locate another pack closer by. Maybe there we can at least find another pack doctor.” She said. “Celeste, reach into the glove box and see if there’s a map. If there’s a pack close by we need to locate a small town out in the middle of nowhere woods. Okay?”

            Celeste nodded grabbing a map from the glove box and gazing at the map. “I can’t read this thing!” She yelled and tossed it to the floor.

            “Give it to me,” I offered reaching forward into the front.

She smacked my hand away. “Shush. All of you be quiet. I will find you a pack.”

She went incredibly still, eyes closed in concentration. “What is she doing?” Delilah whispered.

“I’m talking to the plants. Now be quiet young one.” Celeste murmured. The car was deadly silent for a good fifteen minutes. “Turn at the next right. We’re closer to one than you’d think. The Green Hill Pack is ten minutes away.” She said as Regina turned right motioning for the others to do the same. All the cars followed along behind and we raced toward the Green Hill Pack.

“Please let there be a pack doctor there.” I whispered looking down at Troy’s paling face with worry. “Please.”