Chapter 1

"No way mom." I puff into the phone, clearly agitated.

"Come on, Maddie. It's one time. I'm getting called in late tonight and we could use the extra cash." My mother sighed into the phone, her tone lightening.

My mom worked 2 jobs to support her and I. One working at a desk for some contracting business, and a side job as the house keeper for a richest woman in town; Mrs. Louise. I mean, don't get me wrong, Louise was a very nice woman. She was basically like my own grandmother to me, but something about vacuuming and dusting her huge house did not sound too appealing, especially on the first day of summer break.

I groaned slightly, switching my phone from my left ear to my right. "I'll do it, just because I love you."

"Thanks sweetie. She said to be down there at 3. She'll be out for the weekend and said she left a check on the counter already. And you'll get half pay, I promise."

"Alright, alright." I smiled, my mood changing.

"I love you."

"I love you more. Bye." I hung up the phone, tossing it onto my bed.

My mother had been the only person I let my walls down to. She was my rock. After my father left when I was 11, I shut down. I couldn't really grasp what was happening, but I knew it wasn't good. I knew it wasn't okay. I lost interest in the things I once loved, my friends became strangers, and I lost myself. I built up these barriers that no one could get through, so when my mom finally did I started to see the light in my life. But to this day, I can barely trust anyone, they're usually pushed away before we can connect. The only people I have in my life are my mom and my 3 best friends; Julia, Lue, and Annabel. They've been with me from the start and they were able to hang on until, well, now. They helped me, they helped me a lot. And I'll never be able to repay these 4 wonderful girls.

I turned my attention to the clock on the wall, it being 2:30 already. Sighing at the job I agreed to, a decided to change into clothes I didn't mind getting messy. I rummaged through my drawers, slipping on a black graphic crew neck and a pair of blue jean shorts. I jogged into the bathroom, releasing my light brown hair from it's braid and it setting on my shoulders. Applying makeup and throwing on shoes, I headed out the door and walked to my car.

I carelessly tossed my bag into the back seat. I read the messy address written on the note card my mother had lying around, struggling to read the poor penmanship.

After a drive of about 10 minutes, I pulled into the driveway of the gorgeous white mansion. I punched in the gate code and headed even further down the cement trail. I shifted into park, grabbing my bag from the back. My mom said I was allowed to walk straight in considering no one was home and that the key was on top of the door frame.

"Shit." I mumbled to myself. The door frame outside had been too tall to reach for me, so I was stretching myself out as far as my arms and legs could to get a grip on the keys.

"Um, can I help you?" An unknown voice asked from behind me.

I jumped at the question as I thought no one was supposed to be here. I turned my head swiftly, taking in the sight of a teenage boy.

"I think the question is, is what are you doing here? How'd you get in?" I scanned his tall figure up and down, noticing he was wearing black jeans in June.

He rolled his eyes and started digging through his back pocket. I folded my arms across my chest, not too excited about his gesture.

I watched his eyebrows furrow as his teeth caught his bottom lip.

"Not again." He groaned, releasing his hands to his side. He pushed passed me and picked up the 'welcome' mat in front of the door.

"What are you even looking for?" I retorted, not feeling very keen about his actions.