Sixteen - 16 -

Chris dragged me to the kitchen. He abruptly stopped and turned to me. He looked confused and kind of embarrassed.

"You hungry?" he asked.

"No" I said

"Right, then what you want for dinner?" he asked

I sighed. I got suddenly got nervous with the thought of me staying here for the night...I don't think I can do this. I decided to pretend as if I had already made up my mind not to stay here.

"I'm not staying over." I said

He stared hard at me.

"What?" I said feeling uncomfortable.

"You don't want to stay here because you'll be the only girl?" he guessed.

Oh right, now that he mentioned it, I will be the only girl here. Well, there are the maids in the house but that doesn't count. I'm going to feel extremely weird.

"That's one of the reasons."I said

He frowned and seemed deep in thought; I took advantage of the moment.

"Oh crap! I have to go out today!" I lied

"Where?" Chris asked and seeing his expression, I knew he didn't believe me.

"Uh...out...y'know....out...I can't tell you." I said

He frowned again. I grinned and ran out of the kitchen. He could have easily caught up to me if he ran after me but he didn't. I looked back and saw him just staring at me. Oh well. I went to the living room where my bag was. I quietly tiptoed and grabbed my bag on the couch. As I quietly turned, I jumped in surprise to see Adrian standing in front of me with his arms crossed on his chest.

"Where are you going?" he asked

"Home." I stated

"No, here is where you will be staying from now onwards."

I rolled my eyes and walked passed him but he grabbed my wrist and made me face him.

"What?!" I said starting to get irritated.

"Why are you doing this?" he asked

"Why am I doing what?! "

"You know very well that if you go to your so called home again, you're going end up with more bruises."

I looked away and stared at the door instead. He was right, he was bloody right. But they already did so much for me, there is no way in hell that I'm going to stay at their place, it's just too much. I looked at him again and smiled brightly, I could see a faint blush on his cheeks.

"Thanks Adrian but no thanks, I'll manage, I swear I will. Did you forget about my healing powers?"

"Yes but what are you going to do about the pain when you get hit?" he said, his face was so serious it made me flinch.

"No pain, no gain." I said softly.

"There is no gain here."

"There will be, there always is."

"What if there isn't."

"Then there isn't, I just have to accept my fate."

He didn't say anything this time, I smiled one last time and walked out of the door, but deep inside I hoped to God that this wasn't my fate.

When I got home I was welcomed by Susan's beautiful screeching voice, very similar to a crow's except worse.

"Chloe! Where the hell were you?!!"

"Out." I muttered and walked passed her.

I ran to my room and slammed the door behind me. I went into the bathroom and took a hot shower. In the middle of my bath I heard a ringing sound.....oh right! Fray's cell phone, the one he gave me last time. I wrapped a towel around me and walked back into the room. I picked up the phone and looked at the caller. Adrian. I sighed.

"Hey." He said

I could hear a smile on his lips.

"Hey Adrian, what's up?"

"Nothing, I just wanted to make sure you got home safely."

"You sound like an old man."

He chuckled. I smiled.

"Yes, I did. Thanks for worrying." I said

There was a short spam of silence.

"Look Chloe, if anything ever goes wrong out there, you can come and stay with us." His voice full of care.

"Yeah I will thanks."

"Good. So what are you doing now?"

"I just finished taking a sho-"

I was interrupted by step-bitch.

Stacy had barched into my room. Now, she stood under the door frame with her hands planted on her hips. She slowly walked into the room and closed the door behind her.

"Chloe, you there?"Said Adrian on the phone.

"Hey, listen I got to go, I'll call you later."

"Wait! What's wrong? Who's there in your room, I heard the door bang open."

I sighed. Damn vampire.

"See you tomorrow." I said and clicked the phone shut.

I stood up and crossed my hands on my chest and glared at her.

"Do you even know how to knock?" I asked irritated.

"What the fuck ever, where the fuck did you get that fucking phone anyway bitch?" she spat.

"None of your fucking business." I shot back imitating her fuk-a-ty words.

She came to me and quickly snatched the phone in my hand.

"Give it back!" I shouted.

She ran out of the room, I chased after her. She laughed as we ran all over the house. The bitch was enjoying this. I was so angry I could feel my hands trembling and....and my temperature rising? I suddenly stopped and place my hands on my forehead. Holy shit! I was hot...weird, I feel fine.

"What's the matter? Am I too fast?" called out Stacy far ahead of me.

I gritted my teeth and burst into full speed. To my shock, the next thing I knew I was downstairs and had already grabbed the phone from Stacy's hands. I looked at her with my eyes wide; her expression was the same except her jaws were dropped open. Oh shit! I got to cover up and fast!

"I guess joining the track team at school really is helping." I smiled weakly and rushed back to my room.

I banged the door behind me and leaned against it. I started feeling a little giddy. Then I slowly felt like my head were breaking into two. Ok, this id weird...what's happening to me? I locked my room and unsteadily walked to my bed. I slumped on it. I put my hands on my forehead. High fever. My eyes felt heavy. I slowly drifted away into a deep slumber.