(22) The Tooth Fairy

Chapter Twenty-Two

The end of the Watty Awards is coming up guys! And this story is a potential finalist! So, if you want this story picked for the second round, I’d appreciate votes and comments guys ^_^

“Rose. Rose. ROSALINE.”

I squinted, shielding my eyes from the morning sun that was shining right it my face. Alice was standing next to my bed, her hand close to my head. “Don’t even think about it,” said I and she pulled her hand away. I propped myself up on my elbows and looked her in the eye with tired lids. “And you know I don’t like it when you call me that, it’s not even my real name.”

“Well, it got you up, didn’t it?” she asked with a smug look on her face, hands on her hips.

“Yes,” I said, nodding. “But it will also get you a sock in the face.”

She scowled at me and began walking away. “Fine. Just get up. We have to clean the pig stalls today.”

I groaned, letting my shoulders out from under me. Crashing onto the bed, I put my hands over my eyes. “Why?” I sighed.

“Rows?” I heard a small voice ask me from the doorway.

I took my hands from my eyes and faced the small figure. “Yes, Julie?”

“My toof is loose! My toof is loose!” Julianna squealed, coming up to me with her hand on her tooth, wiggling it.

I smiled at her, and waved her in for a closer look. When I saw some blood on it, I grimaced and called Miriam in with a sense of urgency.

“Yes, Rose, what is it?” she uttered, breathless.

“Come here,” I said, beckoning her to look at Julie’s face.

“Oh my,” she gasped when she saw the small child’s tooth. A big smile slipped onto her face, and she put her hands on Julie’s face. “My darling! You’ve yet to lose your tooth! Are you all right?”

“Yes,” Julie said, grinning. The blood began to pour onto her lip.

Miriam frowned. “Sweetheart, we have to pull it out, I’m afraid you will lose too much blood if your mouth continues to bleed!”

Julianna backed away from her mother, her hand going over her mouth protectively. “Mum, will it hurt?”

Miriam leaned down to get eye-to-eye with Julie. “No, my sweet, I will be very gentle. You can trust me.”

Julie whimpered for a little bit, but eventually nodded, and Miriam looked at me pointedly. “Get the thread,” she whispered.

I nodded and walked out of the room, going to the sewing closet. Quickly locating the thread, I grabbed it and shut the door, only to find Alice right behind the door, glaring at me.

“I told you we were cleaning the pig stalls today. Why aren’t you ready?” she asked with narrowed eyes.

I bit my lip. “Well, your mum came in my room, and she told me to get thread. We are taking Julie’s tooth out,” I answered, then turned around and walked back to the room.

Alice followed closely behind. “What do you mean, she asked you? Why didn’t she ask me? I’m the ones who’s her bloody daughter!”

I chuckled, stopping near the door of the room I was sharing with Lydia. “Calm down, Alice. I was in there with them. I was most convenient.”

Alice crossed her arms and frowned. “If you say so.”

I smiled at her, and then turned to head forth into the room.

“Rose, do you have the thread?” Miriram asked, concentrating hard on her daughter’s tooth.

“Yes, I do,” I said, handing it to her.

“Ow, ow! Mum, it hurts!” Julianna whined as Miriam began to wrap the thread around her tooth.

“Relax, sweetie,” Miriram cooed. “It will all be over soon,” she said, giving me a look.

I took it as my cue to speak. “Oh, yes Julie! It won’t hurt one bit once we’ve gotten it out.”

“What about before?” Julie asked.

“Well, it will hurt a little,” I admitted. Then I looked to her with bright eyes. “But you know what? You get to put your tooth under the pillow tonight. And the tooth fairy will come around and take your tooth and give you money!”

Julie clapped her hands together and grinned. “Really?” she asked with fascination.

“Really,” I replied, ruffling her hair.

“Wicked!” she said.

Miriam looked at me pointedly, and I nodded, assuring her than I had some shillings to put in place of the tooth. “Now,” I said, stopping down to Julie’s level. “Are you ready to make some money?”

“Yes!” Julie cried, taking the string from her mother and yanking her tooth.

I watched as the tooth pulled out of Julie’s gums, and fly across the room. “Oh no!” I cried as I watched the tooth nearing the hole in the wooden floor that lead to dirt.

The tooth fell into the hole, and Julianna immediately started crying.

“Oh, sweet! Stop crying please! I will get you some medicine if you stop crying!” Miriam cried, her face contorting in pain as she watched her daughter’s mouth fill with blood.

“It doesn’t hurt!” Julianna said. “I lost my toof!”

“Tell you what,” I said, reaching into my pocket and pulling out two silver shillings. “You were a big girl and pulled your tooth. You deserve these,” I said, handing her the coins.

Julie’s face lit up. “Thank you, Rose!” she cried, hugging me.

I patted her head. “You’re welcome, sweetheart.”

Miriam looked at us warmly, and Alice was scowling.

I grimaced. This was going to be a long week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys, so so so sorry about the shortness. I just don't want it to end.... :(

Teaser for next chapter: Where is Stella? And hm... Rose goes to the Americas ;)

Anyways, I have exactly 18 days to finish.

Blast mode... on. I will try to upload at least two pages a day from now on until the 30th :D