(10) Appreciating Art

Breaking Glass Chapter 10

After Aiden and I helped the girls up - Alice sore and stiff from the beating - we separated into different groups, Alice and I went to a bench, and she explained everything.

They’d gone to Jefferson’s to purchase a birthday gift for her father, which was today. Miriam had assigned Alice to find the cheapest thing that he’d like. Julianna suddenly got excited, and Alice and Miriam had gone to see what it was, but it turns out that the only thing she had found was a small trinket. Julianna beggedfor the toy, but Miriam refused, saying that they couldn’t afford it.

“The look on my sister’s face when my mother said no, I couldn’t deal with it – I just couldn’t. The sadness in her eyes made my muscles tighten angrily,” Alice explained, glancing briefly at her little sister.

I did as she did and looked over to the area where Aiden was talking to Miriam and Julianna about what happened. His eyes met mine and he winked, a crooked grin on his face. My eyes flitted away, embarrassed. “So what did you do?” I inquired, fighting back the warmth that was surely to come to my cheeks.

Alice cocked an eyebrow, and shook her head, apparently aware of what just happened between Aiden and me. “I told Julianna to leave it on the table, that I’d get it for her later.” She inhaled a sharp breath and continued. “I waited a few minutes, and then I quickly shoved it in my pocket – without looking around,” she admitted, closing her eyes and wrinkling her face in regret.

I put my hand on her knee soothingly. “And how did the guard catch you?”

She opened her eyes and looked at me curiously. “I just said I didn’t look around.” She heaved a long sigh and started fiddling with her fingers. “He was watching me the whole time, he came over to me after he saw me and asked what I was doing. I said ‘Sir, I am looking for change in my pocket.’ And he didn’t believe me, instead, he just grabbed me by the hair and dragged me out into the street roughly.”

Her account of the story lit a small fire inside of me – it was all too familiar. “And then he started beating you,” I stated, and edge to my voice.

“Yes,” she confirmed slowly and looked at the sun, it’s light reflecting the green in her hazel eyes, making her hair that is the color of burnt wood come alive with a flame. The rainbow that was appearing to the West seemed to dazzle her. “He beat me when I didn’t give it back. I thought that if I didn’t let him have it, I’d be winning. I’m trying to make our people rid of their fear of them. I mean, what is the worst they can do? Beat us? Kill us? Take away our possessions? I’d rather have nothing than to live under this oppression.”

“You said this happens a lot in Whichurch?” I questioned, gesturing the buildings before us.

“The guards being violent with people? Well, yes, I suppose so. They are never fair with us.”

“I never knew any of this happened, I’m going to speak to my father about this,” I admitted, my mouth going to one side.

She snorted, a wry smile on her face. “Look, I don’t know who you are, but I’m sure talking to your father won’t help anything. They will just kill you and your family if he tried to start anything. My father is paralyzed because of me. Besides, I don’t even know of a Mr. Jefferson.”

I raised my brows at her, my jaw dropping slightly. I stared at her blankly. What did she mean, she didn’t know why Mr. Jefferson was? She must hate him the most since was the mayor! “Oh, really?” I asked sarcastically.

Slow realization crept on her face. “Carriage… You… Guard… Jefferson?”

A smug smile flashed on my face. “Took you long enough. Yes, I’m Rose Jefferson.”