(16) Stella and Her Opposing Nature

Chapter Sixteen.

Please Vote! And comment!  And fan!

                “What are you talking about? It is tomorrow?” I asked, my mouth hanging open.

                “Yes, tomorrow,” my new servant, Stella replied. She was a very petite girl about three years younger than me, which was all right due to the fact that she was very mature. I was sitting in front of my large vanity, and she was behind me, fixing my hair. I looked at her through the mirror as we spoke.

                “Why, that gives me no time!”

                “I’m sorry, but that is what your father requested.”

                “He seems to forget the fact that I am doing him a favor,” I mumbled grudgingly. How could Father want me to make a speech to the entire town tomorrow? Especially with what I had I say…

                “Well, it is not rather a favour, but a calming to the townsfolk. Which will help you in the long run,” she said.

                “Is that so?”

                “Yes.”

                “Well that is a peculiar thought, Stella; pray, tell me why you think that?” I asked.

                “Your father runs this town, if people are pleased with him; he will be pleased with himself. Therefore, he will not be so damn bitter,” she replied matter-of-factly.

                I established Stella and I’s relationship the first day. I was done with servants that were my slaves. Slavery was done away with for a reason. I told her about my pregnancy and she immediately swore by me. Somehow she became my greatest friend, a sister in sorts. But she was no Lydia.

                It had been 3 months since Lydia’s departure. My stomach was starting to show but I compensate by eating profusely, blaming it on my mother’s death and recent tragedies. I know that I will be found out soon enough.

                Aiden and I hadn’t spoken. There were times when I was taking a stroll in the town and I caught his eyes on me but they quickly flitted away as soon as they met mine. One time I saw the brunette woman with him again. A ring was on her finger. I didn’t care to think about it any more than that.

                “Well, when he begins treating me better, I will believe that theory,” I replied to Stella.

                I felt the final pull of a band being pulled over the long braid of my hair. “It will happen, I am telling you.”

                “Will you help me go to the seamstress to tell her to take in my dress for tomorrow?” I asked, rising from my chair.

                “Take in? Why, won’t it be small? Considering the situation?” Stella asked.

                “Entirely the point. I want the dress to make me look smaller, to try to stop any rumors,” I said.

                “With all due, respect, Rose. You are nowhere the size you used to be.” Stella smiled sweetly at me to try to counter her biting comment.

                “Well I think you’re just jealous,” I retorted, offering her a small smile.

                “Why, of course I am!”