What Are The Odds?

(Authors Note: The photo on your right is a picture of the Cornucopia. It's actually a picture of a place I live near. (I live in a small town in Australia so that's why) That'll help you imagine it :)

There was a knock on my door.

“No” I said quietly and tossed over. I had been trying to sleep for hours yet no dreams had come.

There was another knock.

“Nope, sorry” I said a bit louder.

The door opened slightly and I saw Avery’s head pop in awkwardly. I looked at her and smiled weakly, trying not to cry. After all, I was probably going to die in a matter of hours.

She ran over and jumped onto my bed. “Aw honey!” she cooed, gently patting my hair.

“I don’t want to die” I whispered to her. Without notice the tears began to run down my face.

“It’s okay, it’s okay, you won’t” I had to give it to Avery. We both knew I was going to die but she had the nicety to pretend otherwise. I would have just said to me ‘oh, bad luck kiddo, maybe next time’ but Avery seemed like she genuinely cared about me. I rested my face on her lap and she stroked my hair. It reminded me my mother which only made me cry more.

“Scarlett” she said quickly attempting to distract me.

“hmphhgf?” I was trying my hardest not to sob.

“What would you like to do for your last couple of hours in the Capitol?”

“Well, I-I-I…” I stammered. I had no idea. I didn’t really feel like going anywhere or doing anything. “I wish I could see my family. Or maybe go kill Arrow right now. Or maybe eat a tomato” I suggested.

She laughed slowly, pulling out a small red tomato from her pocket and handing it to me.

I loved Avery. She was the best coach anyone could ask for. I knew I was going to miss her in the games. I took a big bite, tomato juice squirting onto my face.

“I’m going to do everything I can to keep you alive” she said solemnly

“I shouldn’t tell you this, but the Capitol has a poll of likely winners. Everyone votes, including the game makers and sponsors.” She hesitated before saying “You’re third on the list”

I smiled weakly. I should be happy that the Capitol believed in me, but how could I when I didn’t even believe in myself?

“Who else is on the list?” I closed my eyes, and then let out a huge yawn.

“Well, Zane is second on the list” Avery said, getting off the bed and walking to the door.

I yawned again. Zane was going to win but who cares? Sleep was finally coming!

“Who’s first?” I asked, almost drifting away.

“Arrow”

Who was Arrow? Who cares?

I heard the door close.

I started to wonder if there would be fresh tomato plants in the lovely jungle arena. Or maybe it would be in the snow. Or on a beach. Or in a deserted city. I had no idea. All I knew was that for the next two hours sleep was all that mattered to me.

~

I was strapped tightly into the hovercraft now and I was absolutely reeling. I tried to remember Avery’s last words to me. As soon as I entered the arena I was to grab anything I could and run. I was to find higher ground and find somewhere safe to wait out on the first day.