The Calvary

“That was the most gruellingly painful hour I have ever experienced” I hissed at Avery. We were on our way to meet district 10’s stylist.

“What are you talking about? You were in there for three hours”

I groaned. I must have blacked out from the pain of waxing, plucking, shaving and whatever the hell else they did to ‘beautify’ me. My hair took the longest to fix. It was incredibly long and thick. Septus, a member of my prep team, couldn’t believe I didn’t own a hair brush and that I simply used my fingers to brush my hair because I found it easier that way.

Luckily Arrow was meeting with the stylist at a different time. I’m not sure who said so, but they decided it was a good idea to keep me and Arrow away from each other. It was peaceful without him and I felt less inclined to lash out at people when he wasn’t around.

 “Ah, you are gorgeous” an old man said walking slowly towards me. He took my hand and kissed it. He hesitated for a second.

“Has she been to the prep team yet?”

“Yes, Phoenix, she has” Avery laughed easily.

“Darling” he said as he leant in close to me “you may need to take another bath”.

“I’m a farmer” I said simply. I didn’t have to explain myself to some old man who had a rainbow beard and pink eye lashes.

“Aha, yes you are a farmer” he agreed, pulling onto my hand so that I would follow him to the next room.

I guess I was about to see my outfit for the opening ceremony tonight. As per ceremonious tradition, each district was dressed accordingly to their trade. Since district ten specialised in livestock, we were always dressed terrible. Last year our stylist dressed the tributes in chicken suits. The year before that the tributes were forced to wear nothing but leaves covering their private parts and a huge cow hide cape that flew in the wind behind the chariot.

I looked at the working table and saw a nice pair of jeans and a shining pair of brown boots.

“Similar to your clothing attire now, I have chosen something different this year” Phoenix beckoned to the table.

“Yes” he mused, picking up the jeans and pressing it against me. “Your presence at the reaping, your appearance at the station… You are all about making an entrance”. 

“Oh” I said awkwardly, not knowing what to say to the man who had the most preposterous name I have ever heard of.

“These will fit you perfectly”

I couldn’t help look at the clothes and be disappointed. He didn’t really put any effort in at all. I could have just worn what I was wearing now.

I wanted to make an impression on the people, but sometimes making an impression wasn’t exactly the best thing to do. Years ago for the 79th games there was a catastrophe with district 4 with water and ended up flooding the ceremony and two years ago a tribute actually fell off the chariot and broke his leg. But this was nothing compared to the famous 74th games with Katniss and Peeta. They had an outfit with real fire. No one has been able to top it since, especially because they fell in love and became the star-crossed lovers from district 12. Katniss and Peeta got married after the games and soon had a baby on the way. I heard they sometimes tour the really poor districts with their kid handing out food and aid to the struggling families but I’ve never seen them in my town.

 “Thanks” I yanked the clothes from his hands, my mood was utterly deflated.

“Don’t worry Scarlett, you’ll need something comfortable to wear out there” he hinted to me while sharing a look with Avery. I couldn’t help but notice the slight smile playing on her lips and the glint in her eyes.