Key To Everything

Recap:

-

“Haven’t you heard?” I whipped my body around to face Bloom.

She took her time to check Philip's pulse and then threw him back to the ground. His head smashed hard to the ground with a sickening thud.

“My sister is an Avox now”

My knife fell from my hands.

-

“What?” I gasped quickly.

“You heard me” she screamed from fifteen meters away and then spat on the ground next to her.

“My filthy sister Avery is an Avox… And if you ask me it’s her own dirty fault”

I breathed slowly and tried to understand.

My immediate thought was: Why did the capitol turn her into an Avox? Was she okay? Then I really started to think. If Avery had a biological sister that was reaped into the games, why would she volunteer to help me, a lowly district 10 member? It didn’t make any sense.

I could see Bloom slowly gaining ground, each step bringing her closer and closer towards me. This was going to turn into one hell of an ugly fight.

The flash of the knife laying discarded on the ground caught my attention. I needed that knife, it was my only weapon.

“Oh Avery” I fell melodramatically to the ground, feigning some sort of upset.

I even dishevelled my hair with my hands for dramatic intent.  I heard Bloom giggle and step closer towards me, thinking she had the upper hand.

I grabbed the knife and jumped back up.

 “Too close” I warned and slashed through the air making her step a few meters back.

“We’ve come to a stalemate” she taunted.

I nodded in agreement. I could tell from the way we were standing both of us were in fight mode and ready to pounce on each other in one seconds notice.

 “What happened to Avery?” I asked calmly as I slowly moved to my left. We were now circling each other clearly waiting for the opportune moment to catch our adversary off guard.

“Her tongue got cut off for being a snitch” Bloom snickered. She walked slowly around our makeshift battle circle, her step bouncing with both amusement and delight. She was enjoying this way too much.

I gritted my teeth.

Don’t jump yet Scar, you need answers.

It seems so odd that Avery decided to help me rather than help her own sister. I couldn’t piece it together. Nobody even knew she had a sister, even me. That was until she briefly mentioned she had a sister just before I was to enter the games. My mind was focusing on other things so I didn’t really listen to her constant babbling until she tried to give me her bracelet.

 “No I don’t want it” I couldn’t. It was hers. Besides, she had worn it in her own hunger games a couple of years ago.

“Fine” she sighed. “I’ll get you another one”.

She tousled through her bag and pulled out a similar looking bracelet.

“Why do you have two?” It was a little confused.

“It’s a family heirloom. It’s belonged in the family for many years but I want to give this one to you” she hesitated before handing it to me.