The Firing Squad

(a/n This is kind of exciting. The only time I will ever do another person's point of view in this book. I thought it would be interesting to find out whats happening in the Captiol while Scar is in the games. Hope you like it! Read, vote and comment!

Avery’s P.O.V

“P-p-resident Snow” I stammered as I opened the door. I beckoned him inside and tightened my robe. I wondered why he had come to visit me so late in the night but I could already guess the answer.

He knew.

“Young Avery” he chimed, his voice slightly amused. “I see you’ve made yourself quite welcome here. Tell me, you’re originally from district…?” He waited patiently for me to answer.

“One” I stated smoothly, sizing my opponents. He had two body guards with him who were standing a length away just out of ear shot. I could easily take them but I was unsure about Snow. He was the president of the Capitol and the whole of Panem for God’s sake.

“So tell me, why did you volunteer to coach tributes from district 10?” A smile played on his lips as he walked over and sat down on a plush white leathered chair.

I followed him to the dining room and sat across from him. I noticed his body guards were armed with guns, which was incredibly unusual.

I suddenly realised with great alarm. President Snow definitely knew.

I groaned internally. I had a really bad feeling about this.

 “I’m doing-well, it’s because… Well I’m not entirely sure” I replied, trying not to answer his question directly.

I didn’t volunteer to coach Scar and Arrow because I thought they could win, it was because I didn’t want to coach my own tributes from my own district.

“I understand you have a sister” Snow continued, a smirk playing on his lips.

I went rigid. “What? How-how do you k-know?” nobody in my district knew about this, let alone any one from the capitol.

“Her name is Bloom Vada, correct?”

I sighed and nodded. Barely any one from my district knew about my estranged sister. I hated her and I wanted anybody but Bloom to win. It was why I tried so hard to gain popularity for Scarlett and Arrow. I made the Capitol reel over them, over their love-hate relationship. I made sure they had a huge entrance in the Ceremony by riding the horses because I knew it would be a biggest entrance than ever before.  

“So you didn’t want to coach your very own sister in the games?”

My mother died giving birth to Bloom. I was only six when it happened but it left me with no one. Bloom was taken in and raised by our neighbours who also had the last name Vada. She had been born with acute mental insufficiency and I was the only one who knew. I destroyed any history of her mental illness because I didn’t want people to know my mother died giving birth to one of ‘the afflicted’ as the capitol called them.

The neighbours classified her as one of their own, but what about me? I was left to fend for myself. I had no one and lived in the woods just outside District one. When I was reaped into the games people were astounded that I was able to easily make a tree house and live in the jungle. But little did they know I had a lot of practise.

Snow chuckled darkly at my non reply. He knew he had me. I knew he had me. We both knew it was just a moment in time before he unleashed the firing squad. That would explain why his body guards had guns. I looked at the door and shot up from my chair. I was going to run away.