Chapter 19

ChApTeR nInEtEeN! I'm not entirely sure why I wrote it like that.... anyways, hope you like it ;)

Beckham O’Neil

Paul gave me a ride back home, and before I even stepped foot inside I heard the familiar voice that I hoped I would never hear again. “Beckham!” It was Carol. She met me at the door. “I was informed that you were arrested? How could you? I thought you were past this and ready to be done with moving.”

“I was only detained.”

She huffed at me. “Beckham, you do realize what this means, right?” I shook my head, and she continued, “You can’t stay here anymore.”

Before Kingsland I would have rejoiced at hearing those words. Hell, I would have gladly heard those words when I learned the street name I'd be living on. But now, I couldn’t believe that she would take me away so quickly. “What?”

She put her hands on her hips, “If you are arrested it signals to us that this isn’t a right fit for you. You of all people know that.” It was true. On many occasions I purposely got caught doing something illegal so I could be moved.

I shook my head, “But it wasn’t Paul and Jane’s fault. It was nobody’s fault. It was just a misunderstanding. The police thought that we had something to do with the fake crime scene at Longview, but we didn’t.”

She eyed me suspiciously. The only person I could never get away with lying was Carol. She always saw right through my front. “I’m sorry, but you will be relocated.”

“No. You can’t make me leave.”

Paul sighed, “Actually Beck, she-.”

“I know she can. I just, I’m not leaving.”

I saw a small smile play on Carol’s face, “You really like it here. Don’t you?”

Without another word I stormed to my NASCAR bed. I laid beneath the covers, thinking of how I screwed up royally this time. How could I have done something so stupid? How could she take me away? I wasn’t even arrested, just detained for questioning. And they let me go, so that must have meant they believed me. This was all a misunderstanding, Carol would see that. I just prayed the other guys didn’t crack under Lt. Donut’s intimidation. As if he had any.

Before I was taken in for questioning, the guys and I had all agreed to meet at the diner at 5 on Saturday. That’s exactly where I was headed when I walked out the door without a word to Paul, who had questioned me. I was last to arrive, and took the last seat available. We sat down at the same table as last night, only this time we talked in whispers.

“So, what did you guys tell the police?” I looked at Tyler first.

He shrugged, “I just told him that we were at the bonfire that night and that I didn’t see Michaels give the back pack to you, but I thought I saw it in the locker room at half time.”

I nodded then looked to Larry. I thought that if anybody were to crack, it’d be Larry. “I just said that I was at the bonfire, and that I didn’t see your back pack. I felt more comfortable with a half lie than a full blown out lie to the police. If they found out I lied, it might go on my permanent record, and ruin my chances of getting in to Harvard.”

I looked Larry right in his hazel eyes, “Larry, if they found out you lied, we’d all be in jail.” That made Larry gulp, and I moved on to Travis. I prayed he didn’t say anything stupid but knowing Travis, I’d be surprised if he didn’t. “Trav?”

“I said that we hung out with the girls and had a few beers, and that I didn’t know anything about any back pack.”

We all looked at Travis in awe, “You told the police that we were drinking illegally?”

He nodded, “Yeah, I thought that was the plan.”

Jake slapped him on the back of the head, “Dude, never tell the police of any illegal activity. You’re so stupid.”

I rolled my eyes and continued, “Okay, Jake, what did you say?”

“Basically what you guys said, but I said I left the bonfire early, and that I saw Michaels give you the bag, but I didn’t see anything after that.”

I nodded, it was good to get some variation in our story. It'd look suspicious if they all had the same exact story.  “Okay, that leaves you Mikey.”

“I said that I took us to the bonfire where we met the girls and then I took everyone home. And then I realized that you left your back pack in my car and I forgot to give it to you until right before the bus left and then I don’t know what you did with it.”

I smiled, “Good. Okay, that’s good. We just have to remember what we said and stick to it. I’m not sure if that police officer believed me or not, but I sure am hoping that he did. Those Longview boys did us a solid by taking my bag from the crime scene. They might even be the ones who get charged with tampering with a crime scene.”

Tyler laughed, “Don’t we wish.”

By this time Tim had walked over, “Hey boys, glad to see you made it out alive. Those Longview boys are up to no good.” We all nodded in agreement, “What can I get you then?” We ordered our food and he then left us once again.

The door to the diner opened, causing the bell on top to ring a few times. I looked over my shoulder to see who had come in. What do you know, it was Lt. Donut and his partner. They strolled towards us, picking up chairs along the way, and setting them down in our circle. “Hey, mind if we join you?”

I resisted the urge to gulp in fear. I was really really hoping that he wasn’t here to arrest us. “Hey Officer Donuski, how are you this evening?”

He nodded, “I'm good. I just stopped by to let you know that we contacted your alibis.”

I looked around the table before making eye contact with the police officer, “Oh really? And what’d they say?”

He shrugged, “Well, y’all’s story checks out, so we wanted to apologize for the inconvenience and return your back pack, seeing as it’s no longer evidence.” The other police officer handed me back my bag.

I nodded, “We understand, you two are fine police officers just doing your job. I’d suspect me too, I am a shady kid, but I’ve learned my lesson and have been on the straight and narrow ever since.”

Lt. Donut smiled, “Let’s hope you keep it that way.” He slapped me on the back before following his partner out the door.

After they had driven away in their police car, we laughed and gave each other high fives around the table. Tim brought us our food and we started to chow down. After half my fries were gone, Lacey walked in and took the seat that was left behind from Lt. Donut. “What the hell did you guys get yourselves into?”

We all stared at her, “What are you talking about?” Tyler asked with a mouth full of hamburger.

“I’m talking about the police calling my house asking me where y’all were on Thursday night.”

“You told them the bonfire thing, right?” No duh, Travis. Lt. Donut just told us we weren’t suspects anymore.

Lacey nodded, “Of course I did. And since I covered for y’all, you better spill.”

She was looking right in Tyler’s eyes. They had a mini stare down before Tyler yawned. “Well, I’m exhausted, I think I’m going to go to bed.” He threw down a five to pay for his meal and then left. Lacey crossed her arms in defeat.

I smiled at her. “I think Tyler’s got the right idea.” I paid for my own hamburger before leaving to back home. I saw that the rest of the gusy followed suit. It was a pretty funny scene watching Lacey sit and pout. We had promised not to tell a soul about what really happened that night, and that included our alibi.