Chapter 4

Beckham O’Neil

“Who the hell do you think you are?” Tyler had pushed me into a wall of lockers in the locker room, and was now towering over me.

“I'm Beckham O’Neil.”

I had already taken my pads off and hung them in my locker, so I had no protection when Tyler rammed his hand into my gut. Okay I probably deserved that. “You’re not welcome on this team.”

“Duly noted.” I was well aware that he would punch me again, which he did. I just couldn’t help it.

The rest of the team had circled us by now, blocking my exit. “Listen here, punk,” nice insult there buddy, “we are going to make your life on the team a living hell.”

“Can’t wait, sounds like so much fun.” I gave him a sarcastically cheerful smile. He took another swing, but I dodged out of the way and his fist slammed into the lockers behind me. As Tyler grimaced I took the opportunity to fight back.

I threw a punch that landed on his square jaw. He retaliated by throwing another punch, which I ducked out of the way and threw a punch into his gut. He then swung another and another in that crazed rapid punching thing angry people do. I tried to avoid all of them, but a few blows got threw, landing on my face and chest. I tried throwing in a few punches, with little success.

“What the hell is going on in here?” Paul’s voice boomed through the locker room, and all fighting stopped immediately. The room used to echo with the deep cheers of the team, but that rapidly died into complete silence.

Both Tyler and I were breathing heavy. I could tell he did everything in his power to resist punching me again. “Is no one going to answer my question?” I think I heard a pin drop outside in the hallway. “Fine. You will all run laps tomorrow as punishment.” He exited the still silent locker room.

Tyler stood over me, narrowing his eyes, “you have been warned.”

Wow. Nice threat. “Ooh. I’m so scared.” He flinched like he was going to hit me again, but decided against it and stormed off to his locker.

It was already 6:00 when I exited the locker room. I slung my back pack over my shoulder and started down the hallway towards the coaches’ office to meet up with Paul, when a voice called me back.

“Hey Beck.”

 I tuned to find Lacey sitting on the floor with her back to the wall. “What are you doing here?”

She stood up. “I’m waiting for Ty. What about you?”

“I had practice.”

She smiled, “I didn’t really peg you for the football type.”

I shrugged, “I’m not, but Coach Westcott pretty much forced me to join.”

“Oh. Well, I’ll make sure Tyler makes you feel apart of the team.” I snorted a little. “What?”

“Oh, he made me feel welcome alright.”

She gave me a confused look, “What do you mean?”

Before I could answer, Tyler strolled through the locker room door. He instantly put an arm around Lacey’s shoulder. He completely ignored me, as if I didn’t exist, “Ready to go?” He asked her in the exact opposite tone he had used a few minutes ago.

She smiled and nodded to him. They headed in the opposite direction as me, towards the student parking lot. “Bye Beck.” She smiled and waved to me over her shoulder.

I stopped in the doorway of the offices. Paul was gathering his things. He turned and looked up at me, “there you are Beck. Give me a second and I’ll be ready.” I leaned against the door frame.