Chapter 25

So I loved reading people's comments on what they think about Emma. Also I was thinking that I should have an actor for Dr. Coleman. What do you guys think about Obba Babatunde? I'm open to any other suggestions :) I also just realized that I don't have an actress for Jane! I remember that I couldn't find anyone I really liked, if you have suggestions, let me know! :)

Beckham O'Neil

I sat down in Dr. Coleman’s office. “What’s up Doc?”

He smiled, “I’m hunting rabbits.”

“But it’s duck season.”

Dr. Coleman chuckled. “So, anything new happen this week that you want to talk about?”

I shook my head and he raised an eyebrow, as if he knew what was going on. I had intended on it being a normal session with us sitting there, doing nothing. But somehow the conversation turned toward Emma. Dr. Coleman was perched at the edge of his seat while I divulged Emma’s secret. She told me not to tell a soul, but I felt like I needed some advice from a third party. When I was finished he nodded and said, “So, how does that make you feel?”

I sighed, “Doc, I sat there and told you all of this and you ask me how it makes me feel?”

He leaned back in his chair, “Humor me.” I didn’t respond. “It makes me feel…” He waited for me to finish the sentence, but I didn’t. “Come on Beck, finish the sentence.”

I sighed and rolled my eyes, “Confused.”

He nodded, “Okay, why does it make you feel that way?”

I raised an eyebrow, “Doc, seriously? You have a PhD and you can’t come up with some original questions?” He stared at me blankly and I sighed once more. “I’m confused because I don’t know what she wants out of me. I mean does she just want me to be her friend, her support system, or-.”

“Something more?” He finished my thought for me. I nodded in agreement with what he said.

“Beck, the way I see it, you’re her only friend. She has no body else to help her out. I’m not suggesting that she wants more. I’m suggesting that all she wants is someone to lend and ear to listen to her, a shoulder for her to cry on, and a friend to give advice and tell her it’s going to be okay. She’s in a tough place and I think you know what it’s like to be in a place similar to hers and not have anybody in the world there to help you.”

“I’ve never been pregnant in my life.”

He didn’t crack a smile at my joke, “No, but you have had to deal with adult situations without help from anybody.”

I nodded. “So she doesn’t want anything more out of me?”

He shook his head, “It would surprise me if she did.”

I nodded, “Okay, thanks, Doc.”

He sighed, “So, anything else on your mind?”

I shook my head, “Nope.”

Dr. Coleman took his reading glasses off and looked me square in the eye, “Why do you do that?”

“Excuse me?”

“We were having a nice conversation and all the sudden you have to make it come to a screeching halt. Tell me why.”

I shrugged.

“Do you want to know what I think?”

I shrugged again.

“I think you’re scared.”

I scoffed, “Scared?”

He nodded, “Yes. I think you are scared that we might actually make progress. That we might actually get inside your brain and bring up your feelings.”

I crossed my arms, “You think I’m scared of my feelings?”

He shrugged, “Well, you crossing your arms in a defensive stance proves to me that you are.”
I uncrossed my arms and glared at him.

Dr. Coleman just sat there smiling at me. After a few minutes he said, “I’m ready to talk whenever you are.”

I broke eye contact and started looking out the window until the buzzer went off.

When I got home Jane gave me a piece of paper. “Beckie, Coach Chambers called. I wrote his number down and said that you’d call him back when you got home.” She gave me a stern look that told me that I’d better not make her liar.

I smiled, “Thanks, Jane.”

I grabbed the telephone off of the table and took it to my room. I dialed the number and after a few rings the man on the other line answered, “Hello? This is Coach Chambers.”

I cleared my throat, “Hi, uh, this is Beck O’Neil. You called me earlier, but I wasn’t home.”

“Hey there, Beck. I don’t know if you know who I am, but I am the football recruiting coach here at the University of Texas. I saw you play a few weeks ago, and I got some game tape of you in the mail and I thought I’d jut give you a call. I think that you are an amazing player, and that you’d make a great addition to our team and our program.”

I was still hung up when he said game tape. “Did you say that you got a tape of me in the mail?”

“Yes we did, and it was fantastic. You have a real talent.” I will have to talk to Paul about that one later.

“Oh, uh. Thanks.”

“Are you considering playing football in college?”

I paused, “Um, I’m not really sure just yet.”

“Well, that’s fine. I just wanted to let you know that we are defiantly interested in you, Beck.”

“Okay. Um. Thanks, bye.” I hung up the phone before he could say good bye to me. As I went to return the phone, I saw Paul watching game film from Friday. “Hey, Paul. Do you want to tell me why the University of Texas has a tape of me playing?”

He didn’t look at me, “Yeah, I sent it to them. I sent it to a lot of coaches.”

“Why would you do that?” I crossed my arms.

He paused the film and finally looked at me, “Because I think you are a very talented player and that you could get a full ride to a great college.”

“What if I didn’t want to go to college on a football scholarship?”

“Well, then you can just tell the colleges that you don’t want to play for them. It’s no big deal Beck.”

“You did it with out my permission.”

“It wasn’t just you I sent video out for. I sent videos of Locke, Michaels, Larry, Travis, all off the seniors. Well, all the ones I thought could play college football next year. I didn’t know that it wasn’t what you wanted, I’m sorry. If you had told me that you didn’t wan to play then I wouldn’t have done it, but I was sending film for everybody and I didn’t want you to miss out on the opportunity.”

I uncrossed my arms. I was surprised that Paul cared enough to want me to do well and go to a school and play football. I surprised that he wanted me to accomplish something. It meant something that he was willing to help me along the way, even if I didn’t want the help. A little hostility was still in my voice. “Well, uh. Thanks.” I walked back to my room and shut the door. I guess I was a miniscule little bit scared of my feelings. Or maybe it was a lot. It all depends on point of view.