Chapter 14

New chapter! :) Hope you like it!

Beckham O’Neil

I woke up screaming. I hadn’t realized that I had fallen asleep. That particular memory hadn’t haunted me in what seemed like forever. The lights flashed on, blinding me for a  second. When my eyes readjusted they saw Paul standing in his boxers holding a baseball bat and Jane wearing a night gown and curlers in her hair. They reminded me of the way parents dressed for bed on old TV shows.

“Beck! What happened?” Jane asked, her expression was of worry and fear.

“Nothing. I just had a bad dream is all.” Paul lowered his bat, grumbled something and left.

“Okay. Maybe it’ll be something you’ll want to talk to Dr. Coleman about.” I just stared at her blankly. Yeah because I tell him everything that happens in my life. “Well, try to go back to sleep, you have school in the morning.”

I nodded and she exited the room, turning the lights off as she left. I glanced over at he racecar alarm clock beside my bed. It was three in the morning. I groaned and fell back. I closed my eyes and tried to forget the memory. Eventually sleep took over.

The next morning was like the others. I ate breakfast, got ready for school, and hoped in the car. However, what was different about this particular morning was when I got the cafeteria before school, Tyler motioned for me to sit next to him. I guess that was the answer to my question, we were still in truce mode.

I took the seat he had saved me. The table consisted mostly of the football team with a few girls. I sat there quietly for a few minutes before I started to join in the conversation. It was a weird feeling, having friends, being apart of a group.

A few weeks had passed by since the Lacey incident. Tyler and I were still on good terms, even though I don’t know how we managed to keep it that way. It was the Monday before the biggest game of our season. On Friday we play Longview, apparently our rivals since forever. Every day the group talked about the up coming game. How good Longview was, and how we had to beat them.

After English, Tyler, Lacey and I, met up with a few other guys who were in our next calss. As we were walking down the hallway, I was looking at Micheals as he told a story about him wrecking his truck the night before. I wasn’t really paying any attention to my surroundings, mostly because people just naturally moved out of our way, when I bumped into someone.

“Oh, sorry.” I said as her books tumbled out of her hand and spread across the floor. The group stopped to wait for me as I helped her pick her stuff up. “Sorry, I guess I just wasn’t paying any attention.” I looked at her and gave her an apologetic smile.

She was cute with her brown hair and jade green eyes. She was a little shorter than Lacey, but not by much, and had and athletic body type. She huffed at me, “Of course you weren’t. None of you ever pay any attention.” I have to admit, the remark stung a little bit. She then pushed past me and stormed down the hallway.

The guys laughed at her remark towards me, “Geez, Beck, Learn to pay attention to where you’re walking.”

I smiled at their comments as we continued on our way to class, but something about what she said bugged me. She acted as if I was some popular arrogant ass that thought he ruled the halls. I looked over my shoulder, but she was already long gone. I wanted to ask her what possessed her to yell at me like that. I mean it was an accident and I apologized for it. I looked around at the group that surrounded me. I guess if I didn’t know any better, I would assume that I was one of them too. I guess I kind of was in a way. I had been accepted by them, but it had taken a lot of work to be accepted, and I still wasn’t sure if I wanted to be friends with them. I remember when I thought about the team like they were arrogant jerks like she does (which I know was a whole two weeks ago), but I found out some of them are nice guys that I’ve become pretty good friends with.