Chapter 21

Chapter 21

“What do you want with me?” I asked feeling defeated.

Trying to transport had sapped too much of my energy because I was unknowingly trying to take two people with me, I guess that’s why Enoch always made sure he wasn’t touching me when he left.

“It’s not us that want you.”

With that I felt a gut wrenching feeling and was consumed with dizziness.

When the feeling finally subsided I was lying on the floor in the metal place I considered my personal prison.

I was in the throne room, with only the queen, and she didn’t look too happy.

“Mother,” My voice was clear of all emotion. I felt hatred burning inside of me, but I would not lash out. She was as unpredictable as a bull.

Her gaze hardened and she was trying to stare me down, but I was not going to stand down.

I will stand my ground and fight for what I believe is right.

Her face changed from one of anger to one of grief. “Why?” There was even sadness in her voice, but I was not going to be fooled by it.

“Excuse me.” I don’t know what she was asking ‘why’ about.

She could be asking why I was in the throne room, though I doubted that one. Why I was betraying her, this one was much more likely. Why I had even survived as a kid without anyone to take care of me; I don’t know where that thought came from. There are a million things she could be asking ‘why’ about.

“Why are you betraying me?” I should’ve known it was that one. Before I could answer she spoke again. “Why did you choose Menahem over me, your own mother? What have I ever done wrong?”

I snorted. She can’t possibly be serious.

“Let’s see, where can I start? As a little child you make me watch you die, which turns out to be a complete fake death. For the rest of my life you never once tried to find me or have anyone even attempt to help me until I was a threat to your plans. All you want is my twin sister to become queen so you can control her and basically still be the queen, but you know that as long as I’m alive she can never become queen.”

As a proud smile spread across her face I got a sinking feeling in my stomach.

“I’m so glad you are actually learning things about your people, but you are wrong. All your life I have had someone watching over you, but not in the way you might think. I always had a group of men chasing after you, pretending to be your father’s men.”

“Why? Why would you do that?”

I knew she was cruel, but I hoped she wasn’t this bad.

“I had to make sure that you never had time to figure out what kind of power you had. When I finally had Menahem bring you to me I was hoping you would come back to me and I’d be able to trap your powers inside you and order all my people to keep what we are a secret from you. But that betraying freak Menahem kept you too long and made it easier to know what we are by earning your trust, though I’m surprised he ever earned it. You were being so difficult he almost gave up, but he held strong and you showed how weak you were when you finally caved.”

So she did know everything that ever happened in my life.

“How could you do all of this to your eldest daughter?”

She chuckled, and as cliché as it sounds, it sounded like an evil chuckle.

“Because you are an abomination. You were never meant to actually survive. The real reason why your father has been sending his men after you your entire life is because he knew what I was and what I planned on doing. Isn’t is so nice to hear that your father loves you with all his heart and has been trying to save your life when you thought he was trying to kill you? Now that you are in my custody I no longer have to worry about him getting you and now I can finish my plans without him interfering.”