Chapter 15

Chapter 15

“It’s not possible. There’s no way it’s possible.” I began to pace back and forth along the room.

“It is possible and I’m standing right here. Peninnah, you need to calm down and just let me explain everything to you. Mother….”

“She is not my mother.” I stated coldly. I could feel hatred boiling in my heart at the mere mention of her.

“She may not be your mother, but she is our mother.”

Hearing her say it out loud was worse than thinking it.

My mom had had another daughter, and she looked exactly like me.

“I want nothing to do with that woman. She abandoned me when I was five years old. I have fought for my life every day since, without her help, and I don’t need her help now.”

Why couldn’t she have left well enough alone? Why did she have to send someone to find me and bring me to her? Why did she hide the fact that she had another daughter from me?

I thought I had known my mother so long ago, but the truth is that my entire life has been a complete lie.

“Please, just let me explain. Mom didn’t want to hide anything from you, but she had to, you were too young to understand.”

“How old are you?” I asked. If she was younger than me than that just proves that I still have every right to be mad at my mother, why should my sister that is younger than me know everything when I obviously don’t know anything?

She sighed.

“I’m seventeen.”

No way.

“When is your birthday?”

I had to know.

“Does this really matter?” She seemed very reluctant to tell me when her birthday was.

“It’s September twenty-first, isn’t it?”

She sighed and I took that as a ‘yes’. How could I have a twin and never know about it? How could my mom have twins and make us grow up apart, especially if we were identical twins? Twins are rare enough in the world, to have identical twins is a complete miracle.

“Why didn’t… How come…” I couldn’t even finish my sentence.

I fell back onto the bed because my legs could no longer hold me up.

“I know it’s a lot to take in, and I really didn’t want to tell you yet, but it is true, and there is a reason why mother couldn’t allow us to grow up together.”

She took a step toward me and I quickly put my hand up, stopping her.

“Don’t come near me. I don’t know who you are and I can’t believe a single word you have said to me. Just go and leave me alone.” I whispered sadly as I fought the tears to stay at bay.

“You need to hear why everything happened the way it did.”

“No!” I screamed and looked her in the eyes. “All that happened is that I was abandoned at the age five so my mom could raise her other, more precious, daughter in the perfect kingdom she ruled! Leave me alone!” I could see that my words hurt her, but I didn’t care. They were meant to hurt.

“You should know that mom never stopped talking about you.” She whispered and then disappeared into the shadows of the room.

The room slowly lightened back to normal.