Chapter 2: Blackout

CHAPTER 2: BLACKOUT

Once I got to school, I went straight to my locker and onto my first class of the day. Empty classroom of course. Not many students here like being early. They like being right on time. Or never coming in at all. My seat is nearest the window way in the back. No, I didn't choose the window to have an 'emo' effect or to stay away from others. I chose it because the back is less crowded and I wanted an easy escape route. Escape from what? That, I wasn't sure of.

"Alright. Class will begin. Settle down and go to your seats." Our english teacher announced.

Everyone shuffled around the classroom. Saying hi to friends. Texting while I waited for class to start.

"Who wants to make a sentence with today's word?" Our teacher asked us.

The word of the day: ADORN

I scribble down a sentence in my notebook.

(My grandparents adorn me with tender loving care.)

I smiled to myself. As i was about to raise my hand, one of our, should you say, popular classmates raised her hand.

"I have one!" She screamed.

"Go ahead Jennifer."

She stood up.

"I can tell that Zane will soon adorn me with his love."

Everyone in the classroom starts yelling and one even says, "You go girl."

Well I do admire her courage but if the guy is obviously not into her, i suggest she move on.

"Quiet! Take your seat Ms. Connick!" Our teacher yelled.

"Okay sir." She winked at him and Zane before taking a seat.

Oh!

You want to know about Zane?

Okay.

Zane. Zane Matthews is his full name. Sure he talks, but barely. I don't remember hearing him utter a word in class. He's fond of jerseys, i noticed. And that's pretty much all i know about him. Oh. Also, he's one of the popular students. Please. He doesn't join anything at school. He's popular because of his looks. Hey! I'm not saying i'm not interested! No! I find him attractive too. I just don't see the point in getting too interested when i barely even know him.

"Ms. Hovde!"

I straighten my back and stared at my teacher.

"I'm sorry."

"This is a first Ms. Hovde."

"It won't happen again."

"Alright. What was your sentence?"

"Um..."

I looked at my paper... And for a few seconds... I didn't know what happened. I came back into reality and found everyone staring at me.

"Are you alright Ms. Hovde?" My teacher gives me a worried look.

"Um... Yeah?" I say. Stupidly.

"She's not sure?" Jennifer says while laughing. Only a few people join her.

"Can i take my seat now?"

"Sure Ms. Hovde. Thank you."

The time passed by quickly and at the end of our class the teacher asked me to stay behind.

"Ms. Hovde, has there been any problems in your household?"

"Problems? Why would you think i have problems?"

"From your sentence earlier..."

What in the world did I say?

"You said, 'I wish I could be adorned by my parents love.'"

That's not what I wanted to say!

"Well?"

"Um..."

"Are your parents hurting you?"

"What?"

"The school can help you..."

"Sir, sir! I'm living with my grandparents. My parents are dead."

"Oh..."

"Can I go now?"

"Yes. Of course."

I left that room and was actually thinking about skipping my next class. But my feet wouldn't listen.