How to Keep the Readers Interested in Your Story

Hi guys! I'm back with another exciting "How to..." because I was just reading this REALLY boring suspense book and I thought to myself there a lot of different ways that this story could be more interesting. Without further a due, let's talk about how to keep readers interested! 

1) Make the readers feel something.

When writing a novel or any story, we sometimes forget what the reader wants and what they want is to feel something. They want to know the deep pain of losing someone they love, they want to feel goosebumps running down their backs in suspense, and they want to feel the connection between two people. Whatever it is, just know that unless you connect with the reader on an emotional level, they will most likely not be interested in your book. A tip to create emotion is to use a lot of adjectives and use slightly more sophisticated words (but not too sophisticated). For example, instead of saying "She opened the door to where she was going" instead say "She opened that stunning gold door illuminating the path to where the road will lead her."

2) Secrets

Everyone has one. Some have small ones and others have one secret that opens the door to many other ones. Keep the reader guessing what secrets lie behind that door.

3) Rational is not always rational

When making a major life decision for your character, there seems to always be a voice in your head telling you what you have to do. The boy has to fall for the girl, or Kenny who got shot has to live. But just know that you don't have to be rational because there are no boundaries when it comes to creating stories. Have the girl cheat on the boy or Kenny live but only to become a serial killer. Sometimes the most rational decisions aren't always the right choices.

4) Be original

I know this sounds cliché, but, if your book sounds like every other book out there with the same plot line, same characters, and same setting, then it will become really boring for the reader. Add something different like all of the cheerleaders are actually nice and have souls. I really want to see this happen in a book, to be honest. That and I want to read a book where the ex-girlfriend is actually really nice.

5) Plot Twists

This is my favorite way to keep readers interested because right when everything you think you have the whole story figured out BAM! You get a heart attack and die. I remember one time I was writing this story and it was your typical cliché love story and then I got the sudden urge to change the story line. So, I made the dad get really drunk and kill someone, resulting in the girl moving away from her small town and instead it turned into a book about moving on from your first love. And, just in case you were wondering, I never finished that book but I kind of want to know...

Well that's all of the ways I can think of how to keep readers interested. If you can think of any other ways to keep readers interested let me know! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Have a fantastic day/night!

~Kim