Chapter 18

Sorry i haven't been on the watt recently. Things have been busy and i had to force myself to sit and write some more. Also i had a friend (more like editing nazi) look over Shift and edit it for me. Soon those edits will be up. If you have any suggestions for things to fix, let me know.

Keep on smiling everyone

Mark0

Chapter 18

"I don't like it," Frank said sitting on his couch in his small apartment staring at Miles' new haircut.

"What's wrong with it?" Miles asked.

"It's not," Frank stopped talking for a moment to find the right words to express his feelings. "You."

"Me?"

"Yes, its not your normal look."

"That's the point." Miles said staring at Frank like he was an idiot.

"Who did that for you?"

"Simon Cooper, you know him?" Miles asked, then he thought of something. "We should do something with you. They have pictures of you and info on you and everything. You should protect yourself. Simon can do it."

"But I like my hair," Frank said stroking his hair. Miles rolled his eyes.

"Come on," he said grabbing his arm and shifting. They both reappeared in an abandoned part of town closest to Simon's apartment.

"You have to warn me when you do that," Frank said clutching his head as they walked the two blocks to his apartment. They walked up to the apartment and press the button on the wall.

"Simon, let us up, its Miles," Miles said into the microphone. There was silence on the line for several minutes.

"SIMON," Miles yelled into the microphone.

"Maybe he's not home," Frank said.

"Well I'm not assuming anything," Miles said, grabbing Frank's arm and shifting again. They reappeared in his apartment a split second later. They looked around and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

"Simon?" Frank yelled into the apartment. When there was no answer, Miles walked into the next room to look for him. Nothing in the kitchen, nothing in the bathroom. Miles walked up and opened the bedroom door. What he saw caused him to gag. Lying in his bed covered in blood was Simon. He was stabbed multiple times. Miles ran up to him and checked his pulse.

"Frank!" Miles yelled. Frank came running in.

"What happened?"

"He's dead," Miles said breathing heavy. Frank stepped back a bit.

"What do we do?" He asked confused. "Call the cops?"

"Dang it Rose!" Miles shouted to no one in particular.

"Rose?"

"Yeah, she was the one that killed him. She is becoming a real thorn in my side."

"I'm sure she'll appreciate that sentiment," came a voice from behind them. They both turned around and saw Strider standing there, staring at them. "I'll pass on the message." He said holding up a handgun. He pulled the trigger and the bullet flew towards Miles. The shifter glowed red and opened and Miles vanished and reappeared on the other side of the room. He grabbed Frank and shifted out of the bedroom and outside the front door.

"Go get Sam. Make sure she is safe." Miles said and Frank nodded and took off down the hall. Miles pressed the shifter again and reappeared inside the apartment again.

"Decided to come back and fight, did you?" Strider said with a smirk.

"Lets end this," Miles said running at him. Strider fired off two more shots. The shifter opened right as the bullets were inches from Miles. He disappeared and reappeared behind Strider.

"Too slow," Miles said throwing an elbow at his back. Right before he collided, Strider vanished and reappeared on the other side of the room. He was smirking again and holding a pocket watch.

"Standard issue?" Miles asked.

"Nah, I stole it," Strider replied and opened it again. He reappeared in front of Miles and threw a punch right at his face. Miles opened his own Shifter and disappeared behind him, swinging a leg out and tripping Strider, sending him sprawling to the floor.

"Yeah, but do you know how to use it?" Miles asked. Strider looked at his own watch and noticed it was getting redder and going from a dark pink to more of a light red. He had to end this quick. He turned back opening the shifter and reappearing behind Miles. He used his momentum and swung a kick right at Miles' head. Miles ducked and elbowed Strider in the ribs. He doubled over and Miles grabbed the back of his shirt and threw him forward. Strider when flying to the floor.

"That time I didn't even need to shift," Miles said getting into a fighting stance. "Come on Davey."

"How do you know my name?" Strider said getting up.

"Oh I know a lot about you. I've done my homework, I've read your file; interesting stuff."

"Well I've read yours. Not bad there. Samantha's quite the looker," Strider replied. Miles rage grew and he ran at Strider, blind anger. Strider quickly shifted in front of Miles and grabbed him, throwing him across the room. Miles quickly fell to the floor but slowly got back up, wiping a bit of blood off his chin. Strider looked at his pocket watch and saw it was glowing a brighter red. His shifts were running out.

"Don't you dare touch Sam," Miles said, anger building.

"Give us the shifter and we'll leave her alone," Strider replied holding out his hand.

"Finders keepers," Miles said and disappeared again. He reappeared out on the street corner where Samantha lives.

"Miles!" he heard behind him. He turned and saw Frank running towards him from the direction of Samantha's home.

"Frank, what?" Miles said. Frank stopped running and bent over, hands on his knees trying to catch his breath.

"It's Sam," Frank started. "She's gone."