Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The only sound heard on the deserted street was the small click of the lock. Miles took out his lock picks and placed them back in his pouch. He slowly turned the door handle and walked in. He was now in James' apartment, he felt a little revenge was necessary. Getting James' address was a different story. James, still fuming about his experience at the bar, had tried to walk off his anger, and Miles followed him, hoping he would lead him back to his apartment. When that didn't work, he ended up heading to a different bar that Miles had heard about but never gotten the chance to stop into see. Miles had stood outside the bar and waited for a half an hour before James walked back out. He had followed him at a safe distance, walking on the other side of the street most of the time. Finally James had walked up to a set of apartment buildings and opened the door to apartment 815. He closed and locked it behind him. Miles had waited on a park bench for another half an hour before he saw James lights turn off. Miles didn't mind, being patient came with his line of work. He once had to wait over two hours once and he made over fifty thousand dollars. But this job isn't about money, it's about revenge. A half an hour later, Miles had snuck his way into the apartment. He walked through the living room and into the bedroom. He always liked robbing a house when the person was still in it. It gave him a rush of adrenaline and a sense of adventure. He had tried breaking into houses when no one was there, it was pretty boring. He missed the trill and the excitement. He had creped into James' bedroom, his loud breathing echoing in the small room. Everyone seemed to leave their wallets in the exact same place. Miles picked it up and walked into the other room. He flicked on a penlight and opened the wallet. He stuck the pen light in his mouth and searched through the wallet. He took out the cash and stuck it in his pocket. He grabbed a pen and pad of paper from his coat pocket and quickly took down all of his credit card information. He wasn't an identity thief, nor was he planning on becoming one. He just thought he should take the numbers down just in case. He carefully placed all the cards back in the places where he had found them and snuck back in the room and placed the wallet back in its exact spot. He was careful to make sure everything was as it should be. He slowly walked out of the house, locking the door with his tools behind him. He breathed in a breath of fresh spring air and started walking back to his own apartment.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

It was about three o' clock in the morning when the phone by her beside rang to life. The woman quickly sat up, alert and ready, as the shrill alarm went off. She looked around the room for the source and when she saw it was just her phone, he fell back on the pillow.

"Why does everything sound louder when it's the middle of the night?" She asked to the empty room as she reached out from under her blankets and grabbed her phone. She flipped it open and answered with a rude "What?"

"Hey baby, you miss me?" came a mans voice on the other line.

"You do realize its 3:24 in the morning don't you?" the woman replied lazily resting her arm over her eyes, fighting not to fall back asleep.

"Just thought I'd call. I can't stop thinking about you," the man replied with a small chuckle.

"Shut up and tell me the real reason you called," the woman said impatiently. "Or this conversation is over and I'm going back to bed."

"We found him," the man replied

"Found who?"

"The guy who can solve all of our problems," the man replied, mysteriously. The woman sat up, fully awake now.

"The ruby slippers?" she asked.

"Piece of cake for this guy," the man replied. "Don't worry, we'll have them back in no time."

"Well who is this guy?" the woman basically yelled through the phone.

"Well that's the reason it couldn't wait until tomorrow morning. The man's name is Miles Steele. Small time thief; robs houses and takes jewelry. But he is good; I have never see anything like this before. He's fast, quiet and can get the job done. Also the funny thing is, you know him. Check your phone, I'm sending a picture of him to you." There were several beeps on the phone and the woman starred at the picture on the screen.

"It can't be, there has to be some kind of mistake. I don't believe it." The woman said, dumbstruck.

"Believe it, he's the guy we need. We'll need you for that," The man replied.

"Yes it looks like you will. We will talk more on the subject later, but for now I have to get back to sleep. Good Night James," the woman replied.

"Good night Amy."