Chapter 3 - Back to Work

Chapter 3

Miles smiled as he heard a familiar three chime as he pushed the door open and entered "Bob's Beer & Billiards for Bills," his favorite bar. He walked past the soft chairs and couches at the front and headed for the bar. While comfy and inviting, he knew the couches and chairs were where drunk people that has passed out end up. Miles had seen his far share of vomit and worse on those chairs. He passed the chairs and tables where there was laughter, conversation and catching up. Miles smiled to himself, knowing he'll soon be in the mix. He passed several tables as he made his way to the bar. Then he heard a voice call out from behind him.

"Josh?" An thick accented voice said. Miles didn't turn around but kept walking. "JOSH!" the voice said again, not a question but a convinced statement. Miles stopped and turned around.

"Are you talking to me?" Miles asked.

"Of course I'm talking to you," the man said shifting his many empty bottles around and arranging a seat for Miles. "Its me Steve, from the other night. Come, sit. I need someone to talk to."

"I'm sorry, I don't know who you are." Miles replied with a look of confusion on his face.

"Are you kidding me? Come on Josh, your drunk again aren't you. Come sit," He said gesturing him over.

"Looks like you're the drunk one pal," Miles said indicating the empty bottles everywhere. "I'm not, however that's why I'm here." He said with a chuckle, the several people in the bar started laughing too. "Have a good night," Miles said turning back walking away.

"I WAS ROBBED LAST NIGHT!" Steve said pounding his fists on the table and rising too his feet. Miles stopped walking but didn't turn back. He casually searched his fingernails for dirt before responding.

"I think you've had too much to drink." Miles said and walked towards the bar. Steve sat back down and buried his face in his hands, talking slow deep breaths. Miles walked past the tables and headed to his spot at the bar. It was the far right corner, where Miles could see almost everyone in the bar as they went about their nightly business. He called the bartender over and ordered his usual. A light beer, heavily watered down. He wanted to be able to focus and be 100% in control while giving the impression that he was totally drunk thus making him the last suspect in a robbery crime. The first time he ordered it, the bartender gave him a weird look. He called him closer and whispered that he was a recovering alcoholic and didn't want to drink too much but missed the taste of beer. He asked for it to be watered down so he could still taste it and still feel it but not get addicted again. He had also asked the bartender to not disclose his secret to anyone because he felt ashamed of it. The bartender agreed and it became Miles' usual drink from then on. As Miles drank, he looked around the bar, looking for his next victim. He saw a single woman sitting at a table back by the window. She kept pushing her long dark hair out of her face as she stared out the window. Miles watched her for a few minutes. She did the same thing over and over again. She would look out the window, check her watch and look back out the window. Every so often she would sip from her drink or drum her fingers on the table. Once she would see no one was coming, she would sigh and make a move to get up and then sit back down and check her watch again and the routine would start again. Miles smiled.

"Perfect," he thought. "My new client."

A.N.: Darn, on my word processor these chapters look so much longer. I'll work on adding more detail and making them longer.