Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Miles woke to the blinding light of the sun coming through his window. He groaned as he held his hand over the rays of the sunlight. He turned and looked at the clock next to his bed, 11am.

"Way to early," he said rolling back over. He tried to get back to sleep but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't. Ever since he was little, he would wake up early because of a thunderstorm or a loud noise and he would never be able to get back to sleep. That's when he learned how to sneak around with out being noticed. He got good and with practice was able to "move " things, as he called it. It was his version of stealing. He would take things and moved them to different locations and with some other things he would just keep them. Once his parents found out, and that was only cause he told them and not cause they caught him, and told him that stealing was bad. Miles at first didn't understand but they tried to explain it to him. Miles finally understood that stealing was bad but he realized how helpful it could be to him making a living. Miles sat up in his bed and rubbed his eyes. He placed a hand on his back and leaned back, cracking it several times.

"How do people get up at this hour," he asked the empty room. He gently picked up Ginger, his cat, from the bed and placed him on the floor. The cat stretched out its back and walked away. Miles surrendered his comfy bed and traded it for the cold unforgiving floor. He walked to his bathroom to get ready. About fifteen minutes later he was heading out the door with a slice of buttered toast for breakfast. He hopped in his car and headed to Frank's pawnshop. About ten minutes later he approached the "NO TRESPASSING" this time there was a handwritten piece of paper under it "That includes you Miles." Miles took one look at the sign and ripped it off the door. He tore it up and threw it in a puddle of muddy water. He threw the door open and walked in. He often wondered why the door was never locked, then Miles assumed the door was never locked because secretly Frank wanted Miles to enter through the back and left it unlocked so he could get in easier. Miles could easily get through that door even if it was locked but liked that it was always unlocked. He walked through the familiar back door entrance. He saw Frank was with a customer and hid in the shadows and watched.

"Very nice, solid gold too." Frank was saying holding up a small gold men's watch to a thirty something woman. She had a confused expression and was staring at the watch with indecision.

"I don't know," she said confused.

"What's not to know?" Frank replied in a friendly tone of voice. "Your husband will love it."

"Still the price is a bit steep," the woman said, biting on a part of a nail while she thought the decision over.

"The price is steep?" Frank said with mock laughter. "Emily, is it alright if I call you Emily?" The woman nodded. "Emily, the price is the best you'll find anywhere."

"Really?"

"Yes really, listen," Frank said leaning close. "You're a nice girl, friendly and you love your husband very much, so I'm cutting you a deal. I'm loosing money on this."

"You are?" Emily said shocked. "Well I wouldn't want that."

"Its not a big deal," Frank replied. "I don't mind at all, this watch would be a great way to show your husband how much you love him. Please take it."

"Are you sure it's not too much of a lost?"

"For love? Of course not," Frank said with a small smile. Emily smiled and took out her checkbook. She quickly wrote a check, signing it with an extravert wave of her hand. She handed the check to Frank and Frank gave her the watch.

"Have a happy anniversary," Frank said as she walked out of the store. A bell rang as the door opened and then closed. Frank held the check like it was a precious child.

"How much did you get?" Miles said, stepping out of the shadows. Frank screamed and jumped a bit. He threw the check in the air and it gently floated to the ground. Frank tried to catch it but missed on several attempts and the check fell to the ground.

"DANG IT MILES!" Frank shouted, bending down to pick up the check. "Did you read my sign? How many times have I told you not to do that?"

"I love your reaction," Miles said, smiling a bit. "Not many guys can get their voice that high."

"Shut up," Frank said, pushing past him. "And if you must know, I made almost three-hundred dollars." Frank said, pushing his hair out of his face.

"Really? Now how much did you buy it for?" Miles asked.

"Bought it off a bloke for fifteen this morning," Frank said with a hint of pride.

"You just scammed her out of $275!" Miles said shocked.

"Oh don't get so religious with me," Frank said, turning to look him in the eyes. "I give them the choice to lose their money. I let them decide for themselves. They are the ones that write the checks. You on the other hand don't give them a choice. Besides, this never bothered you before. What's the matter kid? Your not getting soft, are ya?"

"No, it's just, I don't know." Miles said confused. "Look, did you get my money yet?"

"No not yet, these things take time," Frank said.

"That's what you said last time," Miles said.

"Yeah I know, but it's hard to move a bunch of jewelry with out someone getting suspicious. Just give me a few days," Frank replied. "You should have enough to hold you for a while just in case right?"

"Yeah, I have enough cash to last a while," Miles said.

"Barry tells me you found yourself a pretty woman," Frank said, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah I might have," Miles said blushing like a 16 year old asking out his prom date.

"Do tell," Frank said, pulling up a stool and sitting down. "Did she say anything about how much jewelry she had? Was she wearing a large diamond ring?"

"You know what? Not everything in my life is about stealing. Can't I just sit and have a nice conversation with a pretty girl?" Miles asked insulted.

"I was just asking," Frank said holding up his hands, surrendering.

"Eh, it doesn't matter, she's married anyway," Miles said.

"So she does have a diamond ring."