Chapter One: Brothers Bears and falling down the stairs...

Chapter One:

When did my life come to this?

"Please Autumn, just hear him out he's your brother and family should always stick together." I shoot my mum the flattest look I can pull off as she pleads with me.

I know it may sound mean but she really gets on my nerves sometimes.

Everybody has probably said that at one point but it's fair to say that my mother isn't the best one out there. She named me after a season for starters, and it's not even like it's a good season, it's the crappy one that everyone forgets about.

Yeah that's me, crappy old Autumn.

"That's what Byron would always say, he clearly doesn't quite understand what comes out of his own mouth!"

As his name rolls off my tongue my mother physically recoils like I've turned around and slapped her across the face. And she wonders why I'll have nothing to do with him. He hurt my mum so bad that she can't even hear his name without feeling physical pain. Only a monster could do that to someone he 'loves', to his whole family.

My 'brother' feels differently which is why I no longer wish to speak to him.

"Just please....for me."

The desperation in her sweet voice hits me along with a giant wave of guilt. She may not be the best mum but she always tries her best and when my eyes connect with hers and I swear I'm looking in the mirror.

We have the same oddly big green eyes, heart shaped face and golden brown hair, it takes the saying 'like mother like daughter' to a whole new extreme. Sighing I pick up my phone and dial his number, I shoo my mother away as the call tone blares through my speaker.

I can't believe I'm doing this.

It's been 6 months since I last spoke to my brother yet it feels like a lifetime. Despite my brain disliking him strongly, my heart still wants to know if he's okay.

Stupid heart!

"Hello?"

His deep, soulful voice radiates around my room tearing through the quiet air like a police siren.

"Mum said I had to talk to you, I hear you have something to tell me."

My voice comes out flat and bored just like I hoped, and I can tell he's noticed by the sigh that follows my reply. Although he only lived in Australia for a year there are definite changes in his accent that I've noticed.

"Yes, I just wanted to say that..."

His voice gets all teary and I know I have to deflect this situation before I give in to him. Before I reply, I snatch up the tatty old teddy bear he gave me for my eighth birthday, snuggling my head into its matted fur.

You can do this Autumn.

"Can we make this quick please, I have better things to be doing!"

I yawn even though it physically hurts to do this to him, I'm such a bitch.

"Just wanted to say that I miss you beenie and I hope we can get past this little fall out."

Just when I thought we could be friends again....throwing down the grubby bear I screech out of pure frustration.

"Little fall out? How can you belittle it like that? You saw what he did to mum, to this whole family so don't talk to me all high and mighty Braxton... I hate you and him, and everything you both stand for!"

Blind rage causes little beads of sweat to form on my forehead as it builds up from deep inside my body. He leaves for a year when I need him most, gets back in touch with the man who single handedly ruined our family then has the audacity to call it a 'little fall out'.