Switched!

Just to let you all know, I'm currently in the process of editing this book (slowly). I'm doing A LOT of editing and rewriting so if you've read this before you might notice several differences. There may be a few minor things taken out but mainly I'm just rewriting and adding. Anyways, thanks for reading! And enjoy (:

Chapter 1

I looked at the TV and sighed. Another reporter going on about Jayden Hunter's girlfriend, Sophia Marsh, being seen with another guy.

"Slut," I muttered, switching off the television.

Unlike almost every other teenage girl in the country, I wasn't obsessed with Jayden Hunter. Sure, I liked several of the movies he'd been in and was a fan of some of his music, but I wasn't exactly a fan of him as a person. Even so, no guy deserved to be treated the way he was being treated by his so called "girlfriend." I didn't get why the guy was still with her. He must have really loved her to put up with all that crap.

"Ellie?" I heard my mom call and I looked up from the couch to see her peeking around the corner from the kitchen.

"Yeah?" I asked, setting the remote on the coffee table.

She gave me a sympathetic look, "The hospital called. They need a person to fill in for tonight's shift, so I'm going to need you to watch the kids for me."

I sighed but gave her a fake smile, "No problem mom. I already mentioned to Kaylie there was a decent chance you'd end up needing me tonight. I'll just text her to let her know it's a definite no."

She came over and stood next to me, wrapping her arm around my shoulder, "I'm really sorry sweetheart..."

"It's okay," I replied, and forced a smile.

It wasn't anything out of the ordinary. We had a fairly large family, with 6 kids including myself, and both my parents worked full time jobs to support us. They worked odd schedules so I often couldn't commit to doing anything, in case either of them got called in. I had three younger brothers and one sister, so I was pretty much constantly watching the four of them. My older brother, Logan, was in college and he tried to help out with them when he could, but it wasn't very often.

She grabbed her bag off the chair and headed towards the door, "I'll probably be back around 7 tomorrow morning. Make sure the kids are in bed on time and don't stay up too late! We have stuff that will need to be done tomorrow."

She walked out the door and I leaned back staring at the roof. I'd learned by now not to get my hopes up about anything. Still, this was the third time I'd had to cancel my plans with my best friend and I wanted to spend some time with her outside of school. At least Logan was coming home for the weekend and would most likely be able to cover for me if I wanted to go over there tomorrow.

I trudged into the kitchen and grabbed a cup of water. I jumped up on the counter and glanced around the room. There were dishes scattered around and I groaned.

"Owen!" I yelled upstairs, "When you're done eating you need to put your stuff in the dishwasher!"

"Sorry!" he yelled back but showed no signs of doing anything about them.

I sighed and hopped down. I walked over to the table and grabbed them, then began to load them into the dishwasher. A little patter of feet began coming down the stairs in the other room, then began to make their way towards the kitchen, and my bad mood started to fade away.