Chapter 14

Lexie couldn't believe that just last year, she and Andy were spending Christmas in their Boston home. Funny how much had changed in a year. Lexie sighed heavily as she stepped on the elevator. Andy had been on winter break for a few days and she hadn't spent any time with her; she'd been stuck at the hospital for the last forty-eight hours. Meredith was having a Christmas party tomorrow and everyone was going to be there—even Cristina. Ever since she'd been a mom, Lexie always made sure she'd work Christmas Eve but get Christmas day off. Hopefully, Josh would be accompanying her to Meredith's party. They'd been spending a lot of time together and they were indeed dating. Not to mention they were sleeping together and he was a sex god. She was so lost in her thoughts about the holiday and Josh that she didn't even realize that she was no longer alone on the elevator.

"Hey." Mark greeted her.

"Hey." Lexie replied tiredly.

"I'm doing some last minute Christmas shopping and I got Andy a few things but I realize that I don't really know her and I don't know what she wants for Christmas." Mark shrugged.

"She pretty much has everything," Lexie chuckled at how privileged their daughter was. "I've been having the same problem ever since she became a teenager. It was so much easier to shop for her when she was kid."

"Sofia too. She's got every electronic device imaginable."

"Andy is more excited about her birthday than Christmas." Lexie commented as she leaned back against the wall of the elevator.

"Oh yeah," Mark said as he started stroking his beard. "We've gotta start talking cars pretty soon."

"We?" Lexie arched her eyebrow as she looked over at him.

"Yeah, we. Don't you think I should be a part of this decision?" Mark asked tersely.

"I…I didn't really think about it. It's just been me making all of the parental decisions—"

"Yeah well…you've better get used to making them with me."

"I didn't mean anything by it, Mark." Lexie put her hands up in defense.

"You sure?"

"Are you okay? You're being more of an ass than usual today." Lexie pointed out as she faced him.

"I'm fine." Mark grunted roughly.

"Alright then," Lexie said as she faced away from him. "I guess this will be the first parental decision we'll be making together."

"Yeah I guess."

"For Christmas, I think you should do something special for Andy." Lexie suggested.

"What do you mean?" Mark asked.

"Something dad like," Lexie shrugged. "Something sentimental."

"Such as?"

"I don't know! You're a smart man, Mark. I'm sure you'll come up with something great." Lexie said before the doors to the elevator opened and she stepped off of them, followed by Mark. Lexie headed towards Meredith and Derek who were at the nurses' station.

"How'd you sleep, man?" Derek asked as Mark walked past them.

"Just peachy." Mark said sarcastically as he kept walking.

"I better go check on him." Derek muttered before he started walking briskly to catch up with Mark.

"What happened?" Lexie asked her sister.

"Apparently, Mark and Julia got into some argument and he spent the night at The Archfield."

"No wonder he was giving me a hard time in the elevator." Lexie realized.