Chapter 6

It was Tuesday morning and Ali was feeling extremely nervous. This was the first day she had to go to school with Jace. That was strange to her since she hadn’t been there for five years.

              At least she didn’t have to work. Her only job was to follow Jace around and pretend to listen. That would be easy since she had done that in high school. Her grades weren’t perfect but she did pass.

              It was cold enough outside so that her and Jace wore coats. Justin had on a long sleeved shirt since he was full shifter. Olivia offered to give them a ride because of the weather but everyone quickly refused. Nothing would make Ali get back in a car with her unless she purposely needed to vomit.

              “I can’t believe you’re making me take an upper-level history class,” groaned Justin. “You know I hate stuff like that.”

              “No one forced you to go to school with me,” snapped Jace.

              “Well I’m not staying in the loft with Olivia and Thomas all day!”

              “Again, no one forced you to come to New York.”

              “Stop being so moody you drama queen,” replied Justin. “You’ve been that way ever since we left Italy.”

              “You try having someone close to you killed,” barked Ali. Both men shut their mouths and looked at her in shock. She suddenly felt stupid for speaking out like that. Neither of them knew her past so she shouldn’t be so defensive.

              “Sorry Ali. I shouldn’t have said that,” sighed Justin. He glanced down at her and smiled brightly. She couldn’t help but feel at ease. He was such a warm person that reminded her of a happy child.

              Justin looked like he was only fifteen years old but Ali found out he had turned twenty-three last month. The oddest thing about his appearance was the similarities between him and Jace. Both had blue eyes and dark hair. The only difference was that Justin had tan skin and was shorter than Jace.

              “It’s okay. I just didn’t drink enough coffee this morning and the weather isn’t helping.”

              “Thank goodness I run extra hot!” he said, patting his chest proudly. All she could do was roll her eyes and smile. Justin really meant well, he just didn’t know when to keep quiet. It was like having a male version of Sarah.

              All three of them arrived at the beautiful campus with plenty of time to spare. Ali decided she needed a coffee and the two boys agreed. Jace led them to the small café where it was packed.

              “Why are there so many people here?” asked Ali.

              “I’m not complaining. They’re all females,” grinned Justin. He wiggled his eyebrows and went directly to a group of women. Ali watched as the girls started to snicker, touching his arms affectionately.