Chapter 7: Part 2

Ali put on a nice and comfortable pair of black pants. She slipped into a pink buttoned down shirt and applied a tiny bit of makeup. Her hair had already dried and naturally curled without her doing much except running her fingers through it.

"What are you doing?"

Ali jumped, cursing loudly as she narrowly missed crashing her face into the bathroom mirror. "Knock next time!"

"I didn't want to bother you," shrugged Jace.

"And you thunk scaring the crap out of me was already good idea?"

Jace smiled, his blue eyes twinkling. "It wasn't the best idea but it was fun."

Ali let out a long, frustrated breath and attempted to fix her smeared mascara. Out of the corner of the mirror she could see Jace slowly sauntering in. He wrapped his arms around her waist as he lowered his lips to her neck. She froze, the mascara suspended in midair.

"You look great," he said, his warm breath trickling down her neck.

Ali tried to respond but was interrupted when his lips touched her skin. A shock of pleasure traveled down her body and left her shivering.

"What do you want, Jace," she mumbled, her voice heavy.

"Just wondering why you're getting so dressed up."

She rolled her eyes and squirmed her way out of his grasp. "In case you forgot, we're seeing Michael soon. I know I'm not wanted here so I want to make a good impression."

Jace snorted. "It's just the stupid council."

"Something that you're privileged too," she said, fixing her mascara, "And I'm not. Even from a young age my father reminded me of that so just let me do this for no one else but myself."

Surprisingly Jace's eyes softened. He gave the top of her head a kiss, making sure to avoid the curls.

"Okay, I'll behave."

She spun around and flashed him a smile. "Thank you."

Once Ali was done adjusting her clothes and hair for the tenth time she let Jace take her hand and lead them out of the bathroom. They hadn't spoken about Jace or her apologizing for what either of them said but, she was content to have their relationship slowly mending without doing that. Both of them had enough going on here and them arguing was just going to add to the stress. That didn't mean another argument wouldn't happen. She knew they would be having words about Juliet but, she would cross that bridge when it came.

Right before they left the room Jace let go of her hand. She frowned even though she knew it was for the best. He was obviously bothered by it too.

"You know," said Jace, as he led them down the stairs. "I don't care what the council thinks about us. The only reason I'm listening to Olivia is because I don't want the people who killed my father to hurt you."

Ali nodded. "I understand. I would do the same thing."

"Good," replied Jace, although he still had a scowl on his face. "I just wanted to be clear on that."

Ali looked up at him, smirked, and gave him at mock salute. "Crystal clear, sir."

He laughed and shoved her playfully. They continued the small talk until both of them stopped before the large council doors. Jace turned to the right and opened a smaller wooden one. Inside was a cozy office; complete with sofas, a desk, a computer, a tiny refrigerator, and a sofa.

Michael was sitting at the desk reading a newspaper when they walked in. On the couch was Olivia. She was doing the same except she had some kind of hot drink on a table next to her.