Chapter 9: Part 2

Ali was bouncing around the room with excitement and ignoring Jace's obvious irritation with her. They had only been here a few days but, it felt like they had already been through so much. From the hatred of the council to Jace's new found leadership, it was overwhelming at times. Luckily today they were going to be able to go out and have some fun.

"Would you please stop jumping around? You're making me nauseous and I'm not even the one with motion sickness," said Jace.

Ali knew it was just his nerves. she could sense that he was excited to go but also dreading the trip.

Ali hopped over and planted a quick kiss on his cheek. "Everything okay?"

"Yes!" He exclaimed, throwing his jacket onto the chair. Jace sighed and sat down. "I mean no, I'm not okay."

Ali stopped her excessive celebrating and sat down in Jace's lap. She ran her fingers through his unruly hair until she could see him slowly begin to relax.

"What's the matter?" She said, her voice soft and gentle.

He hesitated, biting the corner of his lip, before finally speaking. "I know this sounds childish but, I'm nervous that no one will like me. My father was very much loved. How do I live up to that?"

"You can't try to be your father. That's impossible. Just be yourself and people can decide if they like you or not."

Jace loosely wrapped his arms around her as he continued to stare at nothing. "And will they like me?"

Ali pulled back and waited until Jace was making eye contact with her. "Of course they will. I think you're amazing. Just use some of that charm you only like to show me and you'll be fine."

Jace smiled and kissed Ali until she was breathless.

"What was that for?" She asked, her cheeks flushed from rush he always gave her.

"Because I love you."

"And I love you too," she said, running her fingers down the back of his neck. "Just please leave the grumpy old man at home. No one wants to see him today."

For the first time this morning Jace gave her a genuine, deep belly laugh. He lifted her up and playfully threw her onto the couch.

"Jace!" She squealed. "You're going to mess up my hair!"

"Your hair that you never brush or stylestyle?"

Ali waved her hand. "That's besides the point. Please help me up."

He lifted her off the couch and gently set her on the floor. Ali made it a point to brush off her clothes and fix her hair until it was perfect. Jace waited patiently the entire time as he sat on the couch and smirked at her.

"Okay," said Ali, checking over herself one last time. "Let's go."

"Since when did you care so much about your appearance?" He asked, stretching his long body.

"Are you trying to say that I always look frumpy?"

"No," he replied, giving her about flat look. "You look amazing without even trying. Now every time we leave the room you make sure to look your best. I was just asking why."

"Because I want to make a good impression. As you can tell, some of the council members don't like me and I'm really trying to change that. I realized that the Shifter world is much bigger than just the stupid people in my small city. This is all new and interesting to me so I'm trying to be on my best behavior."

Jace looked thoughtfully at her before nodding his head. "Fair enough. Now let's go."

They walked out of the suite door and Ali could feel her good mood instantly deflate. Juliette was smiling brightly at both of them. She had on a casual pair of jeans with a nice sweater.