Chapter 8: Part 2

Ali followed Jace down a long hallway. They were silent but not because there was nothing to talk about. She was just amazed by all the pictures hanging on the wall. Jace had told her they were previous council members. Some look like they went back all far all so they sixteen hundreds. Those were paintings and pretty well preserved.

They all stopped right before a large metal door where the oldest pictures were. "This is my relative and one of the first men we have on record that served on the council."

"Amazing," whispered Ali in awe. "You look like him."

"My dad thought so too. Anyway, ready to eat dinner?"

Ali let out a deep breath and nodded. She didn't mind eating with the council even though most didn't like what she was. The thing that bothered her was the threat of the constant bicker. She hadn't realized how hurt Jace still was and he was taking it out on the council.

Jace spun around. Ali didn't even have a chance to react as he quickly bent down and placed a sweet kiss on her lips.

She blushed slightly. "What was that for?"

"I have to spend at least an hour talking to these people. That's an hour I have to pretend that I'm not seeing you. I just want you to know that you're important to me."

Ali's eyes softened as she gently cupped his cheek with her hand. "I think I was wrong about Shifters. You have your moments but, I think you're one of the sweetest people I've ever met."

Jace pushed one of her curls behind her ear. "Only for you." He gave her one last kiss, which she was able to return, before reluctantly pulling back and opening the door.

The aromas that hit Ali's nose were overwhelming. They were delicious, flavorful, and made her mouth immediately water. It was nothing like she had ever smelled in her life.

The two of them rounded a corner and entered a large, open eating area. In the center was area beautiful wooden table with matching chairs. Of course they were the last ones to arrive. The entire council was there; accompanied by Juliette, Olivia, and Justin and Brooke.

Brooke made eye contact with Ali and smiled brightly. She waved a quick hi before going back to looking nervous. Ali didn't blame her. Being a human in a place like this was probably overwhelming. She was handling it much better than most people would.

Michael was the first to stand. "Good evening," he said, gesturing towards two chairs. "Glad you two could finally join us."

"Sorry," mumbled Ali.

Jace didn't even bother acknowledging Michael. He sat down and immediately began pouring himself some wine.

"Want some?" asked Jace.

Ali wrinkled her nose. "Not tonight."

He shrugged, topping off his glass with the last bit. Ali watched him in disgust as he downed the first glass. She wasn't surprised when he went for a second.

"Is this a competition?" asked Justin. He grinned and finished his glass before Jace was done pouring his.

Jace paused for a second before laughing and taking another drink of his. "No competition here. Just needed to get some alcohol in my system."

Robert glared at Justin and snapped his fingers. "Stop acting like acting like an animal."

"Well technically I am an animal," replied Justin.

Jace laughed again which earned him a glare from Robert. He was about to say something when Michael loudly cleared his throat. Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at him.