Chapter 6: Part 2

Ali was seeing red. She wanted to physically hurt Jace in the worst way possible. There weren't many times in her life that she wished she could just have a drink and relax but, this was one if them.

"You jerk! When were you going to tell me that you had started to build a life with someone?"

Jace pushed the rest of his body up. "She doesn't matter to me and I didn't think you would ever see her."

Ali laughed. "Not even when you said you loved me? What were you eventually going to do? Hide me like your mother from the council?"

As soon as the words left Ali's mouth she knew it was as mistake. Jace's face dropped. She had just crossed the line and betrayed Jace in a way that she wasn't able to take back.

"I guess we're even for me saying that you're only my hired help," he said, his voice sounding defeated.

Ali let out a long breath and looked at the ceiling. "I'm so sorry for going there. I didn't mean to bring up your momother you're at great person and I know you wouldn't hide me if things became more serious."

"it's fine," he said, waving his hand and trying to pretend he wasn't hurt. "Let's just clear the air. What do you want to know about Juliet?"

"Nothing except why it ended."

Jace ran a hand through his hair. "I never loved her. She's a great person, we had fun, and she's beautiful but, her father forced our relationship and after a while we were together out of habit."

"I'm guessing she didn't take it well?"

"She knew the relationship was over but, acted like a five year old when you throw away a toy they haven't played with in a year."

"What do you mean?" asked Ali, her brow furrowed.

"A kid doesn't care for a toy until you're about to throw it away. Then it becomes the greatest thing ever and they need it," he said, emphasizing need.

"So she likes to play games?"

Jace shrugged. "I guess. I don't really care anymore. She's not my mate so she doesn't matter."

The next question Ali wanted to abouts was on the tip of her tongue and Jace seemed to know it. He waited, pretending to stare about sit something interesting on the wall. The thing was, Ali didn't want to know if she was Jace's mate. She wasn't prepared for a yes or a no. If it was yes then she could possibly live the life of her mother and Jace's mother. If it was a no then she would be heart broken. All these wasted emotions and she would end up just like Juliet.

"Well I'm glad we have that shorted out," said Ali after and long silence. "And I'm really sorry for bringing up your mom."

For a brief moment Jace looked disappointed that Ali hadn't said something else. He quickly put a smile on his face and got off the couch.

"No worries," he said. "We're even."

Ali didnt bother answering. She didn't like playing the get even game. They were both adults who needed to learn that they couldn't behave childishly and hurt each other. It would ruin their relationship and make her job a lot harder.

"They have snacks in the fridge and pantry if you want anything. The kitchen can make you anything though and will bring it up. You just call them and ask," said Jace.

As if on cue Ali's stomach growled. She sighed loudly and rolled off the couch, landing on her feet with ease. Jace had already taken out chips and dip, some chocolate, and a soda.

"You're lucky you run so hot," said Ali, not bothering to hide the jealousy from her voice. "That junk you're eating will burn off in a second."

Jace smiled. "And it's not the same for you?"