365 Days With You

Chapter 1

              Ali stared out the window and watched the leaves sway gently in the wind. They were colored bright red, orange, and yellow, mimicking the fire that could easily destroy them.

              The beautiful scenery was the only thing she liked about this town. Of course she loved her brother and sister but, they would be easy to relocate. The trees were another story. There were other places that looked gorgeous in the fall but, nothing compared to the town of Pine Grove.

              As a teenager she could really not care less about her surroundings. The only thing that mattered was ditching school and having a good time. After being enlisted and in the desert for almost four years she now had a great appreciation for the pine trees her town was named after.

              Ali let out a deep sigh and was feeling so at peace when something hard hit her head. She growled, whipping her head around to see who the culprit was.

              “Hey Ali, guess what?” chirped a happy voice.

              “Sarah-”

              “Did you know that trees are not born with legs and they don’t eventually sprout some? That means none of them can get up and walk away. Thank goodness you’ll be able to come home and they’ll be right where you left them,” said Sarah, holding up the back of her hand to her forehead. She faked looking relieved and laughed when Ali let out another growl.

              “Oh save it. Coffee is ready and Zach needs a ride. He missed the bus again,” said Sarah, picking at a piece of fuzz on her shirt. Her attention span was like a gerbil’s, nonexistent.

              “He’s done that every day this week! Is there something you guys aren’t telling?”

              “You know he doesn‘t like to talk about what goes on at school. Ask him yourself.”

              Ali gripped the chair tightly and counted backwards from ten. She loved Sarah but sometimes the girl’s laidback attitude drove her crazy.

              “Fine,” huffed Ali, throwing her arms in the air, “Let me drink my coffee and then we’ll go. Don’t forget, you’re running the classes today. I have some paper work to take care of.”

              “I’m more than just prepared. Look at my outfit. It screams workout! Maybe even secret agent.”

              Ali glanced at her sister, feeling the corners of her mouth twitch. It was like the eighties threw up on Sarah. She had her blonde hair pulled in a side ponytail with a hot pink sweat band holding her bangs in place. The neon yellow shirt she was wearing only covered half of her upper body and was paired with teal pants.