Children of Earth - Day Four

I wouldn't leave you hanging too long. ;)

Next to last chapter! The government discusses what to do with the children, Jack comes clean, and something at the end turns the Apocalypse into the Time Lady Victorious. }:)

Here's "Day Four!"

***

"Why?" the Apocalypse demanded angrily, Rose gasping and tugging Clem to the side, Alice running to get her son, pulling Jenny with her as well, letting the two of them duke it out. "Why the hell would you do that?"

"1965, the 456 sent a virus to Earth," Jack winced, rubbing his stinging cheek. "They said it would mutate in four months, a new version of the Indonesian Flu. It could kill up to twenty five million people. All research supported the evidence." He swallowed, not able to help being scared as the Apocalypse circled him like an animal circling prey, he being able to hear her growling under her breath. Gwen and Tosh were staring, shocked, Owen and Ianto looking back and forth between Jack and the Apocalypse. Rhys and Alice, who had never seen a standoff like this before, were simply staring. Jenny looked scared. Rose was just . . . disappointed. "But they were offering a cure. They'd send the antivirus."

"In exchange for something of Earth's," the Apocalypse nodded. "They wanted twelve children."

"It sounded like a good deal," Jack admitted. "The 456 said they'd live forever."

"So why were you the one to deliver them?"

Jack closed his eyes. "Because they needed someone who didn't care."

Her growling turned into a snarl. "So you just handed them over and hoped for the best?!"

"You are in every nightmare I've ever had," Clem pointed at Jack accusingly.

"I'm sorry," Jack said honestly, tears in his eyes. "I'm really sorry. I - "

Clem lunged forward, reaching for one of the guns Torchwood had left on the console. Before he could get there, the Apocalypse pointed at Clem, and he froze in place, held by her telekinesis. "I am very tempted to let everything I have out on you," the Apocalypse rubbed the bridge of her nose, looking at Jack. "Give me a few moments."

She released Clem and stormed out of the console room, her hair crackling with energy. Jenny hurried after her, Rose letting Gwen comfort Clem before running after them both. Jack slumped into the captain's chair, his head in his hands, knowing the Apocalypse was more than likely about to demolish one of the rooms. Tosh and Owen quietly conversed about what they had seen on the computer, while Alice talked quietly to Steven. Only Ianto remained by Jack, and he was shaking his head. "I can't believe you didn't mention this before," he said.

"They didn't speak through the kids back then," Jack said. "I didn't recognize the signs at first."

"That's not what I meant," Ianto shook his head.

Steven suddenly walked over, Alice watching with a close eye. "So you're not my uncle?" he asked.

Jack blinked, then looked up at Alice. "How were you there in 1965," she explained.

Jack sighed. "No, I am not your uncle," he told Steven.

"Mum said you're my grandpa."

"Oh, don't call me that," Jack sighed. "Now you're really making me feel old."

"How's that possible?"

"Well," Jack leaned back, remembering. "Your Aunt Rosie is a very special woman."

By the time Jack had finished explaining, Steven was asking many questions, making Alice smile at her father and her son interacting.

***