XXIV

"Going on a mission with your fiancé, huh? How romantic!" Sam smiles brightly and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, blood and murder is such a cute couple thing. Totally romantic!"

She glares at me, "Your sarcasm is not appreciated."

"Well it should be. It's one of the many services I offer for free so... Take advantage, girl!" I wink at her, making her shake her head.

"Just put on your vest."

"You got it, dude." I quickly put on my vest and tighten it. Her eyes turn into slits as she stares at me.

"You're gonna die like that." Sam informs me and tightens my vest.

  "Yeah, well, I might just die right now of suffocation." I loosen it but she tightens it even more. I wince, gritting my teeth.

  "You're not gonna die before your wedding. Got it?"

  I whisper, "Yep."

  "Good." She smiles then hugs me. I take a gasp for air, which makes her laugh.

"Alright. I gotta go." I push her away and she nods. I open my door but Sam stops me.

"Just...just don't die out there, okay? Please."

"I don't know how I would. It's a mini mission, Sam. Not one of the life and death types."

  "Still. Just don't die." She sighs, genuine.

  I smile at her, "I won't. I promise."
•••

  "Who's the victim?" I question River as we sit in the helicopter.

"Stewart Sonia. He recently harmed members of our organization. Immensely." River answers, his jaw clenching.

I smile slightly, "So we're gonna make him pay, huh?"

"Absolutely."

"Sir!" The pilot called and River stood up.

"Yes, Assassin?"

"We have landed." The pilot reports and he nods.

"Great." He looks back at me and I cross my arms. His eyebrows furrow, "What?"

"Where are your manners, River?" I frown at him, making him sigh.

"Thanks, Assassin." He says, grudgingly, but I smile either way.

"You're welcome, sir."

"Happy?" River mocks me and I smile.

"Yes, actually. Very."

"Looks like you'll get what's coming to you." River pulls me up and connects my vest with his. Then, without a warning, he jumps off the helicopter with me attached to him.

"Oh Jesus! You crazy son of a–" I clutched onto him when I looked down. He laughed.

"Calm down, my queen. You're safe with me."

I smile, trying to calm myself, "That rhymed."

"I know." River leaned his head closer to me, which made me gulp. He whispered, "It meant to."