VI

A/N: Here's a cover by hauntingsinthedark who was so kind to make this and two other covers. They're beautiful and I really appreciate it. Thank you!!

"The Blue Assassins?" I echoed and they nodded. The name sounded awfully familiar, literally.

"Not a lot of people know about it. Only the members and a few allies, " Alexander told me. "The police don't even know we exist. The majority of people never heard about us or think we're just a—"

"Legend, " I finished his sentence and they furrowed their eyebrows.

"How do you know about us?" River questioned.

I shrugged nonchalantly. "I read a lot. Especially in genres of fantasy and folklore."

"Oh, " he murmured while I tried to remember everything from the book. All I knew was that it was a very old book with a black cover with a blue rose that had blood dripping from it. It was called: The Legend of the Blue Assassins. One by one, the stories began coming back to me.

"You're the Blue Assassins?"

"No, we're the Pink Assassins, " River mumbled sarcastically, which caused his father to send him a stern look. He simply grinned.

"Yes, we are the Blue Assassins, " Alexander answered me.

My eyes widened when I remembered a specific part of the book.

"Oh, no, no, no!" I yelled, backing away from them. I freed myself from the handcuffs and held the chair as a shield.

"What—"

"Look, I'll do anything. Just please, please don't kill me!" I pleaded.

Suddenly, completely surprising me, River bursted out laughing and I gaped at him. Alexander rolled his eyes, impatiently waiting for his son to control himself.

"Okay. That was the funniest thing I've heard all day, " he chuckled before clearing his throat. "But, why would we kill you?"

"Because it's part of the legend! If someone were to discover the Blue Assassins or a member of them, they'd have to be killed."

"You are right, but there is another piece of the legend you have forgotten, " Alexander intervened. "If they were of use, they'd be excused."

I frowned. "Of use? Um, sure. I'm pretty poor, but I could give you my phone or something."

"What kind of phone—"

"No, " Alexander cut off his son.

"So, you are going to kill me?"

"Assassinate, " River coughed.

Alexander shook his head at me, ignoring River. "No, we don't want your phone or your money. What we want...is for you to join us."

"Oh, good! I really did not want to give you my—wait, what?" I dropped the chair that was in my hands while River gawked at his father, equally as baffled.

"Dad, what are you talking about?" River asked him and he sighed.

"You see, those two men you knocked out were our best assassins here. They've been trained by myself and are incredibly experienced in our organization. No one can defeat them except my son and myself. Yet, you managed to make them both unconscious at the same time, " Alexander explained.

"To be honest, it wasn't really that hard. I've dealt with burglars that fight harder than them, " I paused. "No offense."

"None taken. It's not as if you can defeat me, " River shrugged, cracking his knuckles.

I snickered, which made him give me a challenging look.

"Now, now, " his father scolded him before returning his gaze to me. "You have proven yourself to be tactical, strong, intelligent, perceptive, and overall powerful. Which is exactly what we're missing in the Blue Assassins."

"Dad, you can't be serious. She's childish and too...nice, " River hissed and I frowned.

Alexander nodded. "We need kindness here, River." He glanced at me and whispered: "We need her purity."

"You...you think she's the missing piece of the prophecy?" River's eyes widened.

"I don't think, son. I know, " he claimed and I gulped. Prophecy? What did I have to do with a prophecy? And if I was a part of it, why were they hiding it from me?

I shook away my thoughts. Right now, I had to focus on the situation at hand.

Should I join the Blue Assassins?