The Aswang (Phillipines)

It has come to our attention that, in an effort to keep you informed about monsters around the world, our staff might have confused the Aswang of the Philippines with another breed of vampire.

Even if they are cousins, it is quite an embarrassment, so thanks to @CreepyFran  for the sidebar note. Here we go, once again to the nation of over seven thousand islands and as many legends of things that go bump on the night. Let us catch us the right vampire this time around.

Our answag is no run of the mill monster. It is the kind of gal (or guy, yes, there are males as well) that can make its way into a community, not only unnoticed, but kind of welcomed. After all, they are quiet folk who keep to themselves. Who doesn't love the opposite of a nosy neighbor?

But aswang have good reason to keep their cards close to their chest. After all, no one wants to betray their nocturnal activities. However, keep observant, people, red rimmed eyes are a tale tale of after hours busy schedules. Not only that, if close enough for conversation, one might notice that all that reflects in their eyes look somewhat upside down. (Though we wouldn't recommend getting THAT near.)

What exactly do they entertain with, you might ask? Well, our friendly neighborhood shapeshifter entertains all kinds of Mischief from dusk 'til dawn, including devouring its victims internal organs, particularly heart and liver. Eating up small children and practicing arts and crafts.

Yep, you read that right. The staple of the Aswang is to leave gifts behind. Whenever and aswang kills, it leaves a likeness of its victim carved out of a banana tree trunk. (Not much of consolation for the remaining members of a family, but let's say it is the thought that counts.)

Our initial confusion between as wants and Tiktiks came before some sources quoted then as one and the same. It turns out that in most folklore notations, the Tiktik is a familiar to the aswang that specializes in attacking sleeping victims, and mostly pregnant women.

How do we deal with these types of monsters? Well, there are certain oils that are not an aswang cup of tea. There's a particular mix of coconut oil and plant stems that they find quite displeasing. This oil boils in the presence of an aswang and won't stop doing so until the monster is out of the way. (Bottle up, people, it's worth every ounce.)

Garlic works, to the extent that it works on most things night-shift monsters and they are known to hate the sting of a whip carved out of a stingray's tale (but who wouldn't... Have you seen those things?)

We  are bidding our goodbyes for now, but will be back to the Philippines later, as we have quite a number of fascinating creatures to cover!  In the meantime, we are doing out homework in Malaysia and Findland (here's looking at you, kids!)