A Most Obvious Vampire (Alp/ Germany)

According to German folklore, the alp is a shapeshifting vampire who attacks victims during sleep. Tiny, roughly about the size of a human baby, it sits on top of its mostly female victims and sucks blood straight out of the breast. (Someone call a Freudian psychologist, we have a vampire with unsolved issues).

While attacking, this vampiric entity exerts something known as "Alp Pressure" that compels the victim to stay unconscious, defenseless, or unaware of its presence.

The alp has a great advantage that carries about an equally great disadvantage. This vampire is an accomplished shape shifter, able to mimic both human and animal form. However (and this is the detail that earns it the title of most obvious blood sucker), no matter what it turns itself into, it must retain a characteristic red cap. The tarnkappe (magic hat) is the source of their power.

We don't know how this one slipped over the head of the undead fashion police (or rather got stuck there); but the alp is amongst the easiest vampires to identify. That doesn't mean when in danger, they won't run, fly swim or slither for their lives, even if dragging along a most annoying accessory. Their favorite shifts lean towards piglets, cats,dogs  and white butterflies, which one must admit, can look quite endearing when wearing red.

There are several protections against alps, which include, nailing  iron horseshoes above the doors, and sleeping with a mirror safely tuck underneath the nightgown;it seems the little creature can be quite horrified of his own reflection.

Though they are impossible to kill, they can be bargained with. It seems alps are quite attached to those dear little hats and if a victim happens to open his/her eyes during an attack and grab hold of the hat, the alp will do whatever it takes to get it back, including leaving them alone.