History's Usual Suspects

You know how grand it is when life imitates art and other matters. In this case, we will bring you an outside source, an article straight out of "Listverse" that we found both interesting and pertinent to our ongoing theme.

For those of you who like to start off your vampire stories within the frames of history, here's a bit that will bring the past alive (or drag it, step after excruciating step, out of the grave).

These are vampire cases, allegedly based on true events. We will use the words allegedly since dead folk can't speak for themselves and some of these tales predate Dracula by over 500 years.

They are accounts of witnesses, who might or might not have had quite active imaginations, but as far as their times and point of reference, they swore it all to be true. Non-fiction? A heck of a god Vampire yarn? Most importantly, a nice inspiration for setting and character demeanor in your next story? Dig in.

(List is provided on the external link)

Source: List Verse, 10 Vampires from History you've never Heard of. (August, 2013)

Image: A rendition of Elizabeth Bathory, probably the most famous "real life vampire" on the list.

___________

Note: As brought to our attention by @angel_0v0_lee and @ThatOneGirl239 Elizabeth Bathory is Hungarian, not Romanian as mentioned in the list. (Our darklings know their trivia!)