Chapter 21, Payback

Helloooooo guys! She's back AGAIN! Thanks for the awesome reviews on Chapter 20!

Here's 21!

Chapter 21, Payback

I couldn't stop Emmett from going, he was too strong. He had taken the letter with him when he had rushed out of the door. I shook my head. My dad was back. It didn't hurt, like I had expected it to be. I felt numb. As if I hadn't fully realized that he came back, to take me back to him. I sat down on the couch, staring at the wall. Then Emmett came back. He was raging with anger, shaking. I jumped up and reached up to put my hands on his shoulders.

"Emmett? Em?" I said. His eyes met mine. He calmed down at seeing my face. "What happened?" I whispered. He shook his head.

"He won't bother you anymore." He said. I frowned and let out a nervous laugh.

"What do you mean?" Had he threatened my father?

"I killed him." He said emotionless.

"You what?" I said, surprised. "Emmett, did you kill my father?"

"No. I killed the bastard who raped you." Now I got it. He didn't think of him as my father. He thought of Carlisle as my dad. I smiled at that.

"Emmett, you.. killed.. a human?" Esme said, coming from upstairs. Emmett nodded. "Wh- Why?" Silently he handed her the letter. In less than a minute she had read the whole thing. The fire raging in her eyes was terrifying coming from such a softnatured person. "I'll call Carlisle.." She murmured. I shook my head.

"What a mess..." I whispered. Emmett smirked.

"I made his house look like a mess." He grinned.

"Em!" I scolded him. He shrugged.

"I didn't make it look like a vampire murdered him, if that's what you're worrying about!" He spoke. Esme came back in.

"He's on his way, he told us to not call the police." I nodded.

"Okay.." Edward came through the open window.

"Emmett, what. Have. You. Done?!?" He spoke, sounding perfectly calm, but agitation leaking into his voice. The letter was being passed around again, from Emmett to Edward and from Edward to Bella.

"God.." Bella murmured. Their heads turned to the driveway. Carlisle, I guess. Edward grabbed the remote of the TV.

"Hello, all," Carlisle greeted and put his hands on Esme's shoulder. I nodded. Edward tuned into the local news. And there it was in big white letters: Man murdered in his home. There was a reporter, a female, telling everyone all about it. I didn't even want to listen. I shook my head. I couldn't grasp the fact he was dead. Dead. The word was empty. Just a word. No meaning. It was unreal. His face was shown on the screen, I was already on my way out when the lady said:

"His friend Bob found him in his house just a while ago-" Which made me practically storm out of the room. He had been there.. He had felt me.. I ran out, through the front door, into the garden that was covered in fresh snow.

Edward, don't you DARE come after me! I screamed in my head, adding his name so he could hear. I heard him cuss from behind. I smiled softly, he was one hell of a brother. I collapsed into the snow and let out a sigh. I was done with the drama. Done. My biological dad was dead, so was my mother and baby and my new family were vampires. I sure had a way of screwing up. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, there's a sadistic coven of vampires that wanna kill me, for heaven's sake! Or they'd murder my family, for crying out loud! I let out a growl of frustration. I didn't know what to do, or to think, or how to react to this! Should I be upset at Emmett, for practically murdering my father? Should I yell at him? Scream at him? Or should I be happy that the world was free of that monster? I couldn't decide. I understood Emmett's point of view. I hadn't even read the letter, but I had an idea of what was in it.

I was wet, I realized. I giggled at my own thoughts. I heard footsteps in the snow, making squishy sounds which rang in my ears.

"Hey!" A deep, husky voice called out to me. I sat up.

"Huh?" I said. A chuckle came from behind.

"What ya doing here? I heard about your.. dad.." Now I recognized the voice. Jacob. It had been a while since I'd last seen him. Now he was in front of me, reaching out his hand for me to take. I put my tiny hand in his enormous one. He pulled me up, nearly sending me flying into his chest.

"Whoops.." He muttered. Even with this icy weather he wasn't wearing a shirt. He was hot, actually. No, no, not in that way, just.. warm.. "Come inside, you're freezing." He let go of my hand and put it on my back, forcing me to walk. I sighed, knowing I couldn't do anything. Edward, of course, was waiting at the door. He nodded at Jacob and handed me a warm jumper. I pulled it over my head and went back into the living room.

"Ew! Who let the dog in?" Rosalie commented. I chuckled.

"Sorry, I did." She rolled her eyes. Renesmee darted down the stairs into his arms.

"Sheesh! Get a room!" Emmett boomed, breaking the tension perfectly, almost choreographed. I laughed. Esme came in with a steaming plate of food.

"Jacob, do you want any food?" Esme offered. Jacob told he was starving. We ate while watching the sports channel, Emmett and Jake insisted. Rosalie appeared beside me.

"Wanna go for a walk?" She asked, softly. She surprised me.

"Uhm, yeah, sure.." After the baseball game we sort of had gotten closer.. I guess... I grabbed my coat and snowboots. Of course Rosalie was already waiting at the door by the time I got there. She opened the door and adjusted to my pace. We walked in an awkward silence.

"So..." I murmured, after 2 minutes of silence.

"I'm sorry for bringing you along, I had to get away from the stench and Emmett was... busy.." She commented, chuckling slightly. I nodded slowly.

"Yeah.." End conversation. I gazed at Rosalie. The soft moonlight fell through her golden hair, making it white and pearly almost the same colour of her skin.

"I actually took you out because I wanted to explain something to you.. or more-" She paused and pondered on the right word. "tell you. A story, I mean." She said, sounding just as awkward as I had before.

"Sure," I said.

"Well, when I was a human, and believe me that was decades ago, I had the same sort of experience as you had." I raised an eyebrow. She had? "My husband raped me and left me to die on the streets." She spoke coldly. She told me all about her past. Every horrific detail. We had been walking in a circle, just away from the house. By the time the story ended we were back in front of the house.

"Thank you for listening, Evenlyn," She said.

"No problem, thank you for sharing.." I answered. She opened the door for me. I took off my coat and checked the clock. Already 2 A.M. It had been a long day.. I was still surprised that Rosalie had confided in me. It was like a.. sisterly thing.. I smiled. I liked that idea. I was walking up the stairs when I thought of the choice I had to make. My stomach started turning. How could I choose between the safety of my family and the need to be with them? I was pondering over the question as I brushed my teeth. I called goodnight to my family and walked over to the big bed and dropped myself on it. The question didn't leave my mind.

Would they really be able to kill my family? Would they? Yes. They would. They most certainly would. But could I even leave my family? Well.. if it meant they'd kill my family... I guess? If I kept telling myself it was to protect them? Yes. Because I wouldn't want to go on without them.. A tear rolled down my cheek, because I knew what my decision would be... and that it would hurt beyond anything in the world. Hurt more than losing.. Meadow.. and my mother. A sob escaped my lips because my decision would hurt them, too. But it was for their safety. Their safety. And that was the most important thing. My decision had been made....

I was going to Volterra.